Too close for comfort.....or not

Hiya,

Over the years I've used lots of razors, including both open comb and straight bar types. Many OC razors aren't any more aggressive than regular types, but some sure can bite harder than any safety bar version.

I'm gonna generalize here and say an OC type is gonna shave me closer than the other type. Might be a little closer and it might be a bunch, but it's closer. The really aggressive ones leave my face the very smoothest, and it takes longer for the stubble to grow back in. I NEVER use those types of razors.

So to finally get to the point: I've been reading about that new Muhle very aggressive head and it sounds like the thing' does a great job of whisker whacking. Shaves are extremely close, and sometimes even less passes are needed to do the job. Pretty impressive. Heh, I also know this isn't a razor that would fit me well.

I'd ask the members who have used these things if there's any down side to how the razor performs. For example, is the shave quality worth any extra time needed to use that razor? Could you see using this regularly, or more of a change of pace novelty thingy. Heh, how's that thing feel waltzing around your face?

I'd also ask the same question for fans of other very aggressive razors, such as ones with the Old Type head.

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Martin

I've just used the style Muhle R41 head earlier today and it's way to aggressive for regular use on my face. Indeed, I'd as far to say that it's somewhat scary.

I'll continue to use it on my head though as it worked very well when I tried it (although I needed to change my technique to accomodate it - an ATG pass was nigh on impossible for example).

Hi Martin, like you I have tried may supposed aggressive razors (Old Type/New Type,Slants Red Tips) and out of all of them the old was the one I would not use again. it was way to much for me, but when you look at the blades it was designed to be used with i was not surprised. I think a lot of people search for the mysterious BBS shave, for me a shave has to be comfortable hassle free and makes me feel good. I find if I try to hard for perfection then I end up with what I call a hot shave, smooth but boy do I know about it. That to me is not worth it?
But each to their own I guess, different razors for different faces.

If Edwin Jagger were to make an open comb razor, and if the head was available as a separate part, I would get just the OC head and try it on my Chatsworth.

Back
Top Bottom