Tony Bennett

antdad said:
Any fans out there? I have a soft spot for old time crooners and I'd like to get a CD or two but what to get.

Don't know which LP this is on. It's rather good so might be worth finding out...

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1lc99fJG30[/video]

I think S.mouse was highly influenced by Tony B.

What? CD's? Lol.

I just use wireless digital music players these days, and stream everything off of Spotify.

I just typed in Tony Bennett and up it popped with about 20 albums. The Collaboration albums are called "Duets-An American Classic" and the rather uninspiringly titled "Duets II".

You have to love Spotify. Listen to any music by any artist, unlimited for a fiver a month. Its sad, but I cant remember the last time I bought a record on a hard media.

Ive been listening to him for many years now along with all the other greats and two albums I like are;
Steppin' Out and Perfectly Frank which is supported by the Ralph Sharon Trio who are just superb with Tony Bennett
While he's still a great performer you've got to go back to his songs of 20+ years ago to hear him at his best.
regards, beejay

If your still looking you might want to think about ""Pandora"" Internet radio. Free or contract... It let's you set up a Tony Bennett station where only he or like artists are played 24 hrs a day. The nice thing is it gives you info about the song being played. If you do it on your smart phone check costs if your not 'unlimited' or using Wifi.
I use at the YMCA here that has free wifi when I work out.(not:)-))

Johnus said:
If your still looking you might want to think about ""Pandora"" Internet radio. Free or contract... It let's you set up a Tony Bennett station where only he or like artists are played 24 hrs a day. The nice thing is it gives you info about the song being played. If you do it on your smart phone check costs if your not 'unlimited' or using Wifi.
I use at the YMCA here that has free wifi when I work out.(not:)-))

Just had a wee look see :

" Dear Pandora Visitor,
We are deeply, deeply sorry to say that due to licensing constraints, we can no longer allow access to Pandora for listeners located outside of the U.S. We will continue to work diligently to realize the vision of a truly global Pandora, but for the time being we are required to restrict its use. We are very sad to have to do this, but there is no other alternative.

We believe that you are in United Kingdom. If you believe we have made a mistake, we apologize and ask that you please email us.

If you have been using Pandora, we will keep a record of your existing stations and bookmarked artists and songs, so that when we are able to launch in your country, they will be waiting for you.

We will be notifying listeners as licensing agreements are established in individual countries. If you would like to be notified by email when Pandora is available in your country, please enter your email address below. The pace of global licensing is hard to predict, but we have the ultimate goal of being able to offer our service everywhere.

We share your disappointment and greatly appreciate your understanding.

Sincerely,

Tim Westergren
Founder "

Steve

TBH at the time of starting this thread I'd heard Bennett being interviewed and thought he was a genuine gent so that peaked my interest but other than some early Sinatra and a few tracks from a few of these guys I find them to be much of a muchness so thats the limit of my interest.

In the pantheon of great crooners past and present, I think one of the most often overlooked talents is Nat King Cole. His mellifluous voice was the sound of Christmas when I was growing up.

These days, however, he is rarely held up alongside the latter Rat Pack or their extended clan (and I include Bennett in that clan), despite being a better singer than almost all of them.

Shame.

Back
Top Bottom