Tonights Hone

Love looking at these Jnats, there's so much character and charm there. I would like to learn this at some point, although I expect I'll go the Naniwa route just for value and consistency as it strikes me as quite a tricky thing to learn. There have been a couple of interesting razors I fancied, but never bought as they weren't from known "shave ready" sellers. Also it appeals to me for the meditative and satisfaction element, a bit like the shaving itself. I find it quite therapeutic doing touch-ups on the acrylic-mounted diamond-sprayed balsa strops. However there's a limit to what can be achieved there obviously, so I guess I'll need to learn to set bevels first.

Love looking at these Jnats, there's so much character and charm there. I would like to learn this at some point, although I expect I'll go the Naniwa route just for value and consistency as it strikes me as quite a tricky thing to learn. There have been a couple of interesting razors I fancied, but never bought as they weren't from known "shave ready" sellers. Also it appeals to me for the meditative and satisfaction element, a bit like the shaving itself. I find it quite therapeutic doing touch-ups on the acrylic-mounted diamond-sprayed balsa strops. However there's a limit to what can be achieved there obviously, so I guess I'll need to learn to set bevels first.
Thanks I will post a few more as I use them if there is some interest in the thread , sounds like you would make a great honer , as I think you have to enjoy it , if you see it as a chore then it is tough to get a good result , personally I really enjoy the process of learning a razor, a stone and the techniques as in one way it is quite simple , but in another a great many variables and you never really stop learning.

There are many people on the forum far more experienced than me , but if you have questions when you start I would be happy to help.

Thanks, everyone here is so helpful and humble about their skills. Yeah I would like to watch this thread, it's about the only shaving related thing that there isn't a thread on, (apart from the sticky from Neil) and seeing as it's such an integral part of SR shaving I think there ought to be at least a thread if not a subsection. I'll watch with interest if you, Billy, Rob etc care to post any tips for public education purposes! I'll probably mostly just click 'like' as I've nothing to add apart from appreciation, until I get to actually starting, and then it'll be questions

I have actually watched quite a lot of videos from Lyn Abrams, Dr Matt, GSsixgun etc, but it still seems like black magic to me at the moment, despite a little bit of experience with J kitchen knives. Razors start where knives stop, so not a lot of transfer.

So Tonights Hone was a refresh of a RIbbon 1000 and Tanifuji 935 , The base stone is a lovely Ozuku Koppa this is a pretty hard stone but feels like silk to hone on , I took both razors to a set of three Mikawa Naguras and a Tomo Nagura Matched to the Base Stone.

Both tested extremely well so looking forward to using them.

So Tonights Hone was a refresh of a RIbbon 1000 and Tanifuji 935 , The base stone is a lovely Ozuku Koppa this is a pretty hard stone but feels like silk to hone on , I took both razors to a set of three Mikawa Naguras and a Tomo Nagura Matched to the Base Stone.

Both tested extremely well so looking forward to using them.

You have me drooling after the beautiful stones again Russ the Ozuku looks a big stone i really enjoy the edges you have produced for me on this stone..very smooth and such a pleasure to shave from

Tonight's Hone was the new Rigarazor. Bevel set on a 1k Naniwa and then Honed on a Shobu stone. This stone and I have history it took me a while to get a good result from it , but it was worth the investment as it delivers wonderfully smooth edges and is my go to stone for razors that are new to me.

What a beautiful razor..paired with a nice natural stone is just the cherry on top ! Even the slurry stones are stunning Russ one day I will invest in a nice set up like this myself..thank you for posting I always enjoy seeing your honing pics

I honed my Ralf Aust this morning and after reading the original post I would not give it any more than a TT3 in relation to the "chart", this was after running on a 5000, 8000 then 12000 Naniwa pro stones. I get a vey good shave even at this level and to be honest I am not sure that any sharper would be beneficial for me. Even though my technique us seriously improving I think I would be hesitant to a TT4 or TT5.

I would love to know the technical requirement for achieving a TT5 level... Something strikes me as being very important and that would be the grind... I would image that a full hollow or Belled Hollow would be required in order to achieve TT5 level, alternatively I would imagine that a wedge would be extremely difficult to get even to a TT3 level...

@Russel I have a Rigarazor on order, it will another ten days or so before it arrives.. :) I hope that is shaves as good as it looks.

I honed my Ralf Aust this morning and after reading the original post I would not give it any more than a TT3 in relation to the "chart", this was after running on a 5000, 8000 then 12000 Naniwa pro stones. I get a vey good shave even at this level and to be honest I am not sure that any sharper would be beneficial for me. Even though my technique us seriously improving I think I would be hesitant to a TT4 or TT5.

I would love to know the technical requirement for achieving a TT5 level... Something strikes me as being very important and that would be the grind... I would image that a full hollow or Belled Hollow would be required in order to achieve TT5 level, alternatively I would imagine that a wedge would be extremely difficult to get even to a TT3 level...

@Russel I have a Rigarazor on order, it will another ten days or so before it arrives.. :) I hope that is shaves as good as it looks.
Hi Roy

The Riga is a heavier grind than the rest of my razors , and I am still getting to grips with it , but tonights shave with it was excellent.

So this was a couple of days ago , so I bought a batch of razors from Japan with a friend and we had 3 each. This is my 3 , they were all Bevel set on the 1K Naniwa Pro. After that they were all honed using the Asano Nagura using the Shobu as a base stone.

Then they were finished one each on the Shobu , Ozuku and Nakayama.

Back
Top Bottom