TOBS Sandalwood ASL

Has anyone elsed noticed that TOBS Sandalwood ASL smells nothing like Sandalwood. Don't get me wrong it's an OK smell but not as it's name implies, I am trying to think what it reminds me of, something a bit Christmassy maybe?

Andybaldybilly said:
Has anyone elsed noticed that TOBS Sandalwood ASL smells nothing like Sandalwood. Don't get me wrong it's an OK smell but not as it's name implies, I am trying to think what it reminds me of, something a bit Christmassy maybe?

"Imperial Leather" according to my mate's missus.

I'm using the shaving cream in the same flavour at the minute and thought exactly the same thing...a pleasant but faint scent but not what I'd call sandalwood. Perhaps the odd waft of pepper coming out of it?

I'm going through a bit of a sandalwood thing at the minute:

Trumpers S/Wood deodorant stick, Ogallala Bay Rum & S/Wood (thank you McGuires!), TOBS S/Wood shaving cream alternating with Nanny's S/Wood soap and Truefitt & Hill S/Wood cologne.

None of them smell alike as such, but they do seem to blend very well together (well...nobody has given evil stares then moved to a different seat on the tube anyway).

The Truefitt Sandalwood has other scents in there according to the bumph on the box, but it really is a fantastic cologne and I really like it.

Is there any such thing as a true Sandalwood?

Not only does the splash smell nothing like sandalwood to my jaded nose, nor does it bear much resemblance to the scent in the cream. It's a pretty rough and ready aftershave all round in my opinion, though I don't dislike it.

I don't know about splashes and colognes, but Nanny's soap definitely smells of the real thing. Artisan's Dreamtime soap is another wholly convincing woodsy scent, dominated by cedar though.

Tardisbasher said:
Is there any such thing as a true Sandalwood?

I don't think so. it's a brave bloke that can point ot any single product and say *that's* Sandalwood.

I like a number of them but they're all different. Trumpers Cream is very mild and a bit earthy, the cologne is a flowery vaniilla over a touch of wood.

TOBS cream is more pungent, the cologne is creamy and woody and a fave of mine.

T&H sandalwood product scents just disappear as if they were never there.

Harris Sandalwood AS gets closest to what my idea of Sandalwood is. It's Woody and dry for one. It smells aniseedy in the bottle and goes on smelling of the same with a bit of wood, then when dry it reverses. Lasts all day pretty easily too. Shame they don't do a cream/soap.

I have gone off TOBS Sandalwood Eau de cologne some time ago, the overwhelming note that over powers everything else in that scent is cloves, but I would say the TOBS sandalwood shaving cream is completely different and very good.

Jamie.

Has anyone tried Three Crowns Sandalwood fro Connaught, now that has a different smell altogether, I like it, it has a very earthy smell not as I thought Sandalwood should smell, I find TOBS more like I used back in the late 60's early 70's.

i'm a huge fan of the T&H sandalwood. Most likely because its not a pure sandalwood smell as such, its mixed with other spicy smells.

I have the shaving cream, but hoping to get the cologne for christmas, as its utterly superb, and has serious longevity for a cologne.

shrink said:
i'm a huge fan of the T&H sandalwood. Most likely because its not a pure sandalwood smell as such, its mixed with other spicy smells.

I have the shaving cream, but hoping to get the cologne for christmas, as its utterly superb, and has serious longevity for a cologne.

Right with you on that. Lovely stuff. It's one of the few colognes I use regularly. I'd only popped in to T&H for a quick nosey around after picking a couple of cigars up from JJ Fox. I went in for samples and came out with a full bottle of Sandalwood. Love at first sniff.

Back
Top Bottom