Tobacconist's and shaving gear!

Blademonkey

Supporter
Supporter
While looking online to find the perfect snuff's (for me) I have noticed that most of the tobacconist's sell shaving gear from creams and soaps to DE razors and straight razors and almost everything in-between, I find this quite strange.
Does anyone know why tobacco and shaving go hand in hand? I could understand if it were a barber's outlet, have tobacconist's always sold shaving gear?

I look forward to your responses.

Paul.

While looking online to find the perfect snuff's (for me) I have noticed that most of the tobacconist's sell shaving gear from creams and soaps to DE razors and straight razors and almost everything in-between, I find this quite strange.
Does anyone know why tobacco and shaving go hand in hand? I could understand if it were a barber's outlet, have tobacconist's always sold shaving gear?

Paul.
My local tobacconist started to stock shaving gear quite a few years back they seem to have a lot of Edwin jagger razors and soaps etc have never bought anything there just noticed walking past, may pick something up one day if I see something tempting think they sell tobs too I didn’t realise others did it though

Shervington's in Holborn, London (on the right in the first photo below) used to stock a wide range of 'Shervington' branded Vulfix brushes, soaps and Dovo straights. Snuff too, of course. Sadly now closed and converted into a coffee shop. As to why tobacconists would sell shaving gear, my guess is that both these things were once considered 'men's business'. Just as 'something for the weekend' was offered in barbershops.

The street used to feature on the 'Old Holborn' tobacco packaging (see second photo). It has been replaced with an elephant for some reason.

Attachments

• Shervingtons.jpg
    Shervingtons.jpg
    415.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Old Holborn.jpg
    Old Holborn.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 2

Paul.
You might like to investigate 'The Black Swan Shoppe' for snuff and other tobacciana (and, yes - shaving gear). Pleasingly old fashioned, even if you're not a smoker.

Back
Top Bottom