Tips for first time knot change

Thanks for the tips everyone. But after a failed attempt to do this, I think I’ll leave well alone from now on. The knot glues were stubborn on both handles, eventually I just did the ‘mole grips and twist’ option on the knot I wasn’t bothered about losing. Then I went back to the other brush and finally the knot came loose cleanly, though a number of hairs fell out during the whole process.

Went back to the first one to try and clean out what was left in the cavity, and managed to slice through the top of the handle, which the steam heat had made soft. Ended up throwing the lot in the bin. Not too bothered as I knew of the risks, also I wasn't using either in regular rotation anyway and have another brush on the way too. Just don’t think messing with these things is for me!

If it's any consolation, I ruined a really nice and quite unique brush with my first attempted reknot. Despite what you think now, you will have learned from this ... if only that steaming is rarely successful.

Cutting the knot off close to the base and then drilling out the remaining stump really is the most effective method. Naturally, you kill the knot and will have to supply a replacement. As @TobyC has raised, there are some handles that you can take apart, crack apart or cut cleanly to get the underside of the knot. With a little sanding, polishing and glue the handles can be made to go back as they were without much visual difference.

It's not an exact science.

If it's any consolation, I ruined a really nice and quite unique brush with my first attempted reknot. Despite what you think now, you will have learned from this ... if only that steaming is rarely successful.

Cutting the knot off close to the base and then drilling out the remaining stump really is the most effective method. Naturally, you kill the knot and will have to supply a replacement. As @TobyC has raised, there are some handles that you can take apart, crack apart or cut cleanly to get the underside of the knot. With a little sanding, polishing and glue the handles can be made to go back as they were without much visual difference.

It's not an exact science.
Every brush is it's own unique experience, just evaluate it's construction and do what you need to do,... saving both the knot and handle is usually not in the cards though.

Back
Top Bottom