Tips for first time knot change

Hi folks,

I’ve never done this before and am not even sure if this is the right place to post, but I fancy swapping the knots over on a couple of Razorock 24mm synthetics. For a total beginner, what method do you recommend? I had a quick glance at a couple of YouTube videos which involved pans of hot water, steaming, etc.

But I wanted to check here as the last thing I want to do is wreck the things. If anyone can post either a simple tutorial video, text, etc. then I would be most grateful.

Thanks

The point of steaming is to soften the glue and fingers-crossed, the knot pops out. More often than not, it doesn't. Removal of a knot is often destructive to either the knot or handle, depending upon which piece you want to keep.

Just be prepared for that.

Thanks. Perhaps it’s best to not bother then.

You can ceratinly steam it ... if the knot pulls out, great! If not, nothing lost. If the other one doesn't you can always re-glue the first.

On that, just make sure neither handle is a (vintage) Butterscotch type handle, as steaming will bleach the colour. You said "Razorock" so unlikely, but keep that nugget tucked away.

You can ceratinly steam it ... if the knot pulls out, great! If not, nothing lost. If the other one doesn't you can always re-glue the first.

On that, just make sure neither handle is a (vintage) Butterscotch type handle, as steaming will bleach the colour. You said "Razorock" so unlikely, but keep that nugget tucked away.

Thanks. No they are just black / clear handles. How do I do this then? Pan of hot water, then the brushes in some kind of bowl inside the pan?

Then clean the brush cavity & knot bottom, and stick down with 2 part epoxy?

Thanks. No they are just black / clear handles. How do I do this then? Pan of hot water, then the brushes in some kind of bowl inside the pan?

Then clean the brush cavity & knot bottom, and stick down with 2 part epoxy?

Yes, basically ... Baines Marie or a dedicated steamer pan.

AM-JKLVn8A07QsIbRyKzO4jsDUgzzUC93dYWJPj3_Gr_-CmGQ13NxSnuxkX_QY3Rgb2HpnPsXsEgCGcQ3jnfKl1ADeAMMtG51tmFLXGLsHAJSm5emEhHqCohbTarLG29ehMUrrM2GC3kN4PYWO31cEv9D5pSDA=s800

AM-JKLXz6tI_bHwhDNhITwuuLXhx4NGwoskge46b7sPEQpByFacD2ZsTISOdg8e_4P6zIctzLbbgUDU4siwGY4WYbl26gPX1Uav-5M-20WHGcYE8IhnbPmjcZOcOeT6y6TFSxfkuVZZpVF4G72XtOgHhsQzqZg=s800

How long? Five or so minutes of good steam!

Use a tea towel as it will be scalding! Pull the knot with a twisting action as quickly as you can from taking the lid off. The glue will re-harden quickly. Of course, if it was set with epoxy this will do nothing.

Other options are:

AM-JKLUAI7804TMgtgBNnqv-7U5Y8VkDCLmCIN18UlELTPh-PEUDCHVJr9xD7-NnHab0q0ay2Svh05P8rUVVlRiaCHWCaSqjQcyful5E48HbWKAM6JhdfE3N_3Jm-8iJoPPRKyJM9ytmBPLytUvFo4VaM1ng6A=w800

Mole-grips and twist! If you don't want the knot, you can be destructive. Risk here was cracking the handle, but it felt like a badly fitted knot that would pull.

AM-JKLV4kpkm3a1DNm8CGOgV8vAi6GATqSgPC1PZyoQvAuLBzFtCy5-eU-6Erdd-mMnm0wS9SVTbhzZQnDbS-BI-OxbzWapXwFShk8NNljZtZp2kWM0KRS9WPwLuz66KVx6bm6EG4X93sDFTR8-oZnPA6YyY8g=w800

Chop the knot and drill/dremel out the stump. Again, destructive to the knot. The flip of this is to cut around the knot if it's the knot you want to keep, destroying the handle.

I would say it all depends on the material of handle as to which option you take.
Some Plastics don’t like hot water or steam and will discolour.
Wooden handles don’t like extreme heat either.
Iv done a couple myself,
One i totally destroyed with steam & the other i used the dremel option and it came out a treat.
What i would say is if you decide to drill it out put some electrical tape or any tape really around the hairs of the brush.
This will keep it all together as apposed to bristles flying all over the place

I would say it all depends on the material of handle as to which option you take.
Some Plastics don’t like hot water or steam and will discolour.
Wooden handles don’t like extreme heat either.
Iv done a couple myself,
One i totally destroyed with steam & the other i used the dremel option and it came out a treat.
What i would say is if you decide to drill it out put some electrical tape or any tape really around the hairs of the brush.
This will keep it all together as apposed to bristles flying all over the place
Hey, that's reasonably good English for a Scot. :p ;)

Was that black and white one takeapartable? I've had some that did and you can go at them from under the knot and save the handle and knot.

Alas, no ...

Sometimes the Culmak ones unscrew. This one is a Coronet (Vulfix) and that base was on solid, well tested with a couple of rubber strap opener helpers < you know, for jar opening or kinda like the kitchen equivalent of oil filter wrenches.

It's got a modern piggy knot in now:

AM-JKLVtGxwhBmFE3VCYbVcu-WrBIQuzrV9ksPeDZ-2329IuTrATG8TTdY7NQ1zbNRcgc9fHlJVCDQzPMSV893U3i-AdOD09lN_lCgeBs3ZDcfGZ8gdQKaXhFROyfZJCvdxF4GsjDLPQpn45UMb7SrZA6_qcjw=s800

... and a friend to play with :)

Alas, no ...

Sometimes the Culmak ones unscrew. This one is a Coronet (Vulfix) and that base was on solid, well tested with a couple of rubber strap opener helpers < you know, for jar opening or kinda like the kitchen equivalent of oil filter wrenches.

It's got a modern piggy knot in now:

AM-JKLVtGxwhBmFE3VCYbVcu-WrBIQuzrV9ksPeDZ-2329IuTrATG8TTdY7NQ1zbNRcgc9fHlJVCDQzPMSV893U3i-AdOD09lN_lCgeBs3ZDcfGZ8gdQKaXhFROyfZJCvdxF4GsjDLPQpn45UMb7SrZA6_qcjw=s800

... and a friend to play with :)
Very cool! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom