Tiny differences between two similar razors

I have been DE shaving since 2016, usually 3 to 5 times a week, with a bit of growth in-between days if I am feeling casual.

I have bought a few razors in that time, but the 2 I keep coming back to are my original Edwin Jagger DE89 (long handle) and a Merkur 20C I bought late on in 2016, which Is long handled and has, I believe, the same head as the Merkur 34C HD. I tend to predominantly use Astra SP blades.

I get great shaves from the EJ, but often get just a few pin-prick cuts from it, however gently and slowly I go. The Merkur, on the other hand, has become my daily driver, as its always a smooth, clean, pain free shave. Of the 2, I think the EJ gives a slightly closer shave.

Its strange that the two shaving heads look almost identical side on, in terms of gap and shape, so the difference in shaving, for me, must be something quite subtle in terms of the shave head or the balance / weight distribution via the handle.

Its no great issue, but I find it strange that its rare to get an entirely nick-free shave from the EJ, but I get one all the time from the Merkur.

Back
Top Bottom