Tinkering With The R41

Hi Guys

Been using the R41 off/on for a few weeks now and have found a combo that seems to work well for me. I tried the stock handle and didn't much care for it. Felt out of balance. Next I tried a Bull Mastiff Xl and while I liked the looks, it felt too heavy and I was nervous about dropping the thing and my shaves suffered. I was holding tighter to compensate for the weight and that affected technique which affected my face with irritation and weepers. Now I also use a Stahly head in my rotation and as Bob says it's one of the best smooth bar heads out there. I had that on one of my own handles and it was ok... just ok. Hmmm. What to do? Well, I looked at both razors and had one of those "Aha..." moments. I swapped handles between the R41 and the Stahly.

The results were the acrylic handle was perfect for the 41 and I didn't have to hold as tightly to let the razor do its job. The end was a 2 pass irritation free shave where although the razor had some weight it felt light and nimble. The Stahly, which always felt light, benefitted from the extra weight of the XL and gives me a great shave as well. I've got another 2 handles and heads coming from Bob so am I done mixing and matching? I think the 41 has found the right match in a handle shape and weight for me, but maybe in wood as well?
[attachment=3825][attachment=3826][attachment=3827][attachment=3828][attachment=3829]

Attachments

• P1000976.JPG
    P1000976.JPG
    192.2 KB · Views: 24
  • P1000978.JPG
    P1000978.JPG
    182 KB · Views: 21
  • P1000979.JPG
    P1000979.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 19
  • P1000980.JPG
    P1000980.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 20
  • P1000981.JPG
    P1000981.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 21
huck1680 said:
Hi Guys

Now I also use a Stahly head in my rotation and as Bob says it's one of the best smooth bar heads out there. I had that on one of my own handles and it was ok... just ok. Hmmm. What to do? Well, I looked at both razors and had one of those "Aha..." moments. I swapped handles between the R41 and the Stahly.
The Stahly, which always felt light, benefitted from the extra weight of the XL and gives me a great shave as well.

Hi there,

Now that looks like a great frankenrazor combo. I love the Stahly head and have one in my rotation as well, stuck on a FH Tech handle. That's really not the best handle (little light), and yours would be a nice step up in weight. I found that head to be on the mild side, which when coupled with a very sharp blade provides me with a very comfortable and effective shave. No problem going ATG with this head, although that's not an issue for me anyway.

A while back a buddy of mine loaned me his Lined Chatsworth and I tried that handle on the Stahly. Whew boy.....much better.

Congrats on finding a custom set up that works well for you,

Martin

I'm looking forward to using that head with a variety of handles; none from Bob though, this head is on loan from "The One North of Chicago". Yes, it's in the mail and I'll have to use it when I get home from vacation 29 November. I've done this with Apollo and Ben Hur handles as well. Trying combos and blades is a thing to do when on vacation. Regards, Robert

Back
Top Bottom