Thumb down on blade!

Decided to have a quick shave this morning - not a proper shave but more or a one pass quick reduction to avoid the feeling of being unshaven but not thorough or time-consuming. Had the Progress set at 6 and I went to pick it up again after a first pass my thumb went down onto the blade and cut through to make a nasty gash and blood galore. Bled for about 20 mins and eventually it became a weeper.
Anyone else have this experience?

No, but I've come dangerously close a time or two, nearly did it when changing the blade last but one time - that could have been nasty!

The clue is in the name handle much safer bit to grab hold of. :mrgreen:

Honestly though I've not yet grabbed the head, but I now await the 1st time :shock:

I cut myself when changing the blade a couple of times when i first started out - needless to say its a lesson you dont forget.

Also i have sliced my thumb badly when restoring a straight blade - A mixture of lack of attention and distraction left me holding my Hand sanding jig with my thumb in a really bad position.
The Blade slipped in the jig and i ran my thumb down the blade. Not 'shave sharp' but '2500 grit' sharp which is quite enough... Loads of blood.
Superbly clean slice tho so healed up very quickly. (Led me to re-design my jig to make sure it cant happen again :p

I did it in about 1975 as a nipper when I picked up my Grandad's razor.

Lesson learned.

Missus told me the other day she and her brother both did the same thing with their Dad's razor. That probably goes some way towards explaining why she has a fear of shaving and currently resembles [insert funny hairy person's name here].

The quote "How long did you spend pissing on the toilet seat before you realised you'd to lift it up?" comes to mind. I have never cut myself because blades are sharp, same as a cooker ring is hot (as a kid i did once put my hand on a cooker ring).

However, nothing I have read on this site has made me cringe as much as this line.....

Attero said:
The Blade slipped in the jig and i ran my thumb down the blade. Not 'shave sharp' but '2500 grit' sharp which is quite enough...

:shock:

I never seem to cut myself on things that are meant to be sharp, touch wood, and the occasional shaving nick notwithstanding. It's formica that seems to have it in for me: nasty, treacherous, vicious stuff.

Forgot to mention that I do wear glasses but not while shaving! A couple of days after the event and my thumb is still a concern. I should have used Dettol but I just put a band-aid in it after running water over it. I may be suffering from some post-traumatic stress but I have returned to cartridges for the last two days. But hope to get back in the saddle soon. Maybe I should wear some heavy-duty gloves :) but at a minimum I am going to dial back to 2 to keep me from self-harm.

Back
Top Bottom