Thoughts on the Slant (and HD)

I started with a Merkur HD, and used that for a good while before I got the urge to try something else.

After reading many positive things about the Slant, I got one.

My original one was faulty - the finish was irregular on the head, and was actually causing the blade to wave up and down slightly.

I returned it to The Shaving Shack (thanks Dan, great service) and promptly got a replacement.

Now - this one was much better, but I just don't think I get on with the Slant. It's not the fact that it's "aggressive" (I prefer the term efficient). I like aggressive razors, and have my technique down.

It's just that I find it hard to get a BBS shave with the Slant. I think it's due to the asymmetrical head! For some reason, I find shaving ATG under my nose and my chin much harder than with the HD. I always seem to miss bits.

I realise this probably is me needing to adjust my technique with this razor, but why should I? I get great, reliable BBS shaves with my HD.

I find the HD to be a superb razor and I can see why many see it as the ideal beginner razor. It's very well built, sturdy, manoeuvrable, very "neutral". By that, I mean that you can really tell the difference between different blades with this razor, which is a good thing!

I've also noticed that, with the Slant, not only is the blade gap different from one end to the other, the blade angle is too! Is this intentional? It's hard enough getting the correct angle with a standard razor, but what is the correct angle for a Slant?!

So, I guess the Slant isn't for me. An HD with a Feather is an awesome combo for me. The grass is always greener, and all that!

John

Thanks John, it's the asymmetry that puts me off -- might as well use a bent and wonky razor to my mind. Also my beard is not so heavy as to need slicing through at at angle, so I don't get it and am in no hurry to try one. The do have seriously committed fans, though, so they must really suit some people.

Im with you on the HD & Feather combo John.

Thanks for your opinion on the slant. I have considerred them in the past, then as i relish the fantastic shaves i get from the HD or Vision i think, what the hell are you thinking man.

I do have thoughts about going straight too :idea:

I have both HD and slant and at the moment prefer the HD. I find the slant slightly closer shave, but with that I get a slight bit of irritation on one small patch under my chin. I think it is just my technique with a slant needs to improve before I can rule it out though.

Plus you have to be bloody careful with what you doing with the slant, more so than with the hd. It bites hard.

I too have never seen any reason for the Slant. Never tried one but seems like a complete gimick to me. You still have to shave through the same amount of stubble, but you are just shaving slightly different bits of your face at different times. It all gets shaved in the end. The same goes for some of the more 'esoteric' shaving moves such as j-hooking. Just move your razor across your face and cut the hairs. Simple as that. (nods head and stomps off to browse another part of the board)

I may be out on a limb here but I found the slant to be not too aggressive. Loaded with a good sharp blade I needed less passes but found the narrower cut only slightly annoying because I had to then do more strokes.

The only real complaint I have with it is the ability to load the blade askew from centre. Takes all of two seconds to adjust when loading it but it would have been better if the head had a better way of holding the blade in place while tightening the head down, perhaps this is necessary for the slant to work but either way it was the only downside for me.

I have both razors and I really like them.The Slant doesn't works with certain blades for me like BIC or Super Iridium but works fantastic with any made in Israel blade.The HD works well with almost any blade for me but Derbys.I get great shaves from both of them(specially with a good combo blade) and I do highly recommend them.

I started with the HD, tried quite a few including the very aggressive Mueli Open Comb. I prefer the Mekur to the Gillette head shape and almost always use a Slant.

I found it no less forgiving that the HD. Maybe, since I learned to shave on a DE Razor as a young man (I'm 60) I still had the survivals skills learned al tose years ago!

I have read countless comments about the Slant. I cant see how the angled head does anything you can'd do by pulling at a slight diagonal, but I do wonder if the twist in the blade increases its rigidity and therefore its efficiency.

Yes, as I said it, achieves the Gillette Slide without any lateral movement.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQco5PWc2JU&feature=fvst">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQco5PWc2JU&feature=fvst</a><!-- m -->

But I am not convince that is the whole advantage. As I said, I am guessing the twist in the blade increases its rigidity

Back
Top Bottom