Third Set Of Scales

Hi this is my third set of scales this was different because I normal sharpen the razor after I have finished the restore this time this razor was in my rotation and one of my favourite razors to shave with. However it was affectionately called Mr Ugly in our house because it looked so bad the original scales had big lumps out of them and I didn’t do anything to them. However I made these scales and looked for a razor that I could put into them and my kids recommended Mr Ugly as a candidate. I made them using a block of acrylic cut into 3mm strips with a hack saw then machined them flat using my drill press and a milling bit. I then filed the edges to a 45 degree angle and left all the corners square when I had done this I was looking at the pins and thought that round washers would look funny so I filed them square and made sure that the pin was rounded over more than usual to make the washer look the right size. Anyhow this is one of my favourite razors and now I think that it looks ok.

Attachments

• IMG_0783.JPG
    359 bytes · Views: 95
  • IMG_0785.JPG
    359 bytes · Views: 88
  • IMG_0789.JPG
    359 bytes · Views: 87
Your just showing off now arnt you, lol.
I'm looking for somthing a little differant next, Neil has dyed a razor a really dark colour
And I want to try somthing differant but along the same lines, cold bluing?
On a dark blue scale or a maple super shiney. But I want a differant blade somthing
With a decorated spine

Hi Colin these razors were given to me by an old man that I met in an antique fair. Both of them were very badly rusted and the one in the fancy scales will never be sharpened or used as it is still too badly pitted they both started off as wedges but I have sanded then down to full hollow trying to get rid of the rust the fancy scales are also cracked at the pivot point and glued back together (before I got the scales) they weren’t with that razor originally but with another that was very badly broken. I have posted these to show you spine work that was done by the craftsmen of Sheffield. Both razors haven’t got any names on them however the black one is a fantastic shave.

Attachments

• IMG_0804.JPG
    359 bytes · Views: 80
  • IMG_0805.JPG
  • IMG_0806.JPG
Yep that's the sort of thing I'm on about, or a really long tang. Just kind of looking for
Something differant. Might even plasma something out of a piece of 7mm plate,just
The hardening I've never tried. Well if I can do brain surgery with the help of
Google then hardening metal should be a beeze. Use the surface grinder for cast
Cylinder heads for the wedge or mill it? Probably surface grind. Ooooooh this could
Be a fun thing to try. Lol

Back
Top Bottom