Third razor advice

Rockwell 6S or the Homelike Start kit, the latter will give you the option of an open comb as well as a variety of blade gaps. Neither will break the bank, and they're both smooth, well-made razors.
I don't know what the homelike start kit is........ but i'm guessing I may need an internet search now. Thanks Wooky!!

Save your money and use what you've got, a radical concept for shaving forum I know....

Two razors is more than enough and you enjoy using what you have; buy more and stuff ends up sitting around, unused and unloved.

I have *gasp* - just the one razor. A Rex Envoy that I bought off BST on these very forums.
I had an R106 but I gave it to my brother, who now shaves daily with it and loves it. It's super mild, but a plastic takeaway spoon could deal with his fluffy facial hair anyhow.
I have 5000 or so of the same blade.
I have a single brush and a single Giles bowl.

Where I seek variety is in my soaps. I have about 10 of those and I have fun switching them according to my mood.
I may get another brush at some point, but I'm going to do my best to stick to that one Rex Envoy. It is bloody excellent.

Admirable restraint, and also proof that once you know what you like you can get a decent razor (Rex are more than decent) and minimise the clutter. I am kind of at the trying things out stage, but do not intend to carry on amassing stuff. Then again I'm crap at selling things so maybe don't remind me of this in 5 years time! I like to think that 2 or 3 brushes, a DE for travel, maybe a nice adjustable for home, and 2 or 3 straight razors should be plenty. Which means I have too much already!

Admirable restraint, and also proof that once you know what you like you can get a decent razor (Rex are more than decent) and minimise the clutter. I am kind of at the trying things out stage, but do not intend to carry on amassing stuff. Then again I'm crap at selling things so maybe don't remind me of this in 5 years time! I like to think that 2 or 3 brushes, a DE for travel, maybe a nice adjustable for home, and 2 or 3 straight razors should be plenty. Which means I have too much already!
To be honest,just shaved with EJ 3 one 6 with Nacet blade,not sure if it could be improved!

I've seen some strange "hobby shaming" on some groups FB and such, when people have larger collections. I say strange, because if you've joined a wet shaving group, it shouldn't be unexpected to encounter people who are interested in shaving and related accoutrements.

I was very lucky to encounter a razor I was extremely happy with on my second try. This was in no small part due to the excellent advice I received here. Same for the soaps and the brush.

I'm also quite prone to paralysis by analysis, and if I had multiple razors to choose from each day, I'd fry my brain up trying to establish which was best and why.

Same with blades, once I found that GSBs gave me a great shave (unlike 7 o clocks or personnas which I just didn't get along with) I didn't want to spend energy chasing down the elusive perfect blade. So I dropped a few quid on 5000 or so of the suckers and locked myself in.

When I run out of GSBs in my mid-60s I'll see what fine space age blades are in the offing.

Admirable restraint, and also proof that once you know what you like you can get a decent razor (Rex are more than decent) and minimise the clutter. I am kind of at the trying things out stage, but do not intend to carry on amassing stuff. Then again I'm crap at selling things so maybe don't remind me of this in 5 years time! I like to think that 2 or 3 brushes, a DE for travel, maybe a nice adjustable for home, and 2 or 3 straight razors should be plenty. Which means I have

I've seen some strange "hobby shaming" on some groups FB and such, when people have larger collections. I say strange, because if you've joined a wet shaving group, it shouldn't be unexpected to encounter people who are interested in shaving and related accoutrements.

I was very lucky to encounter a razor I was extremely happy with on my second try. This was in no small part due to the excellent advice I received here. Same for the soaps and the brush.

I'm also quite prone to paralysis by analysis, and if I had multiple razors to choose from each day, I'd fry my brain up trying to establish which was best and why.

Same with blades, once I found that GSBs gave me a great shave (unlike 7 o clocks or personnas which I just didn't get along with) I didn't want to spend energy chasing down the elusive perfect blade. So I dropped a few quid on 5000 or so of the suckers and locked myself in.

When I run out of GSBs in my mid-60s I'll see what fine space age blades are in the offing.
Great that you have found the ideal setup for you. Some people here are collectors, some are addicted and others may like variety. There's a wealth of knowledge and experience, so just enjoy great shaves and never feel shamed. 5000 is a major lock in. There are also those that were lucky enough to find SE-DE earlier in their lives. Some of us didnt come to it until later on. Either way it beat shaving with a can of foam or gel and a 7 blade piece of plastic (which I did for years). Nothing the matter with that but I'm glad i found the alternative pathway.....

I wish i could be like you
i’m scared to count what i have in a relatively short space of time
Over 20 Razors for sure but they all get used :eek:

Haha agreed! I'm not sure about "shaming", but then I'm only on here and one limited FB group, and the vibe is all about what nice finds people have acquired. I haven't really encountered that. As you say, why join an enthusiast's group and then 'shame' people for having too much? Probably driven by envy.

I know what you mean about analysis paralysis, which I suppose is the idea of a rotation, just use and enjoy them all in turn for the variety and almost infinite permutations rather than try to make 'the right choice' - not like choosing a club during a round of golf!

I've never been a proper collector of anything because I don't have the head space to become that knowledgeable, nor the physical space in the house. OK I have a record collection but I just listen to it, I don't catalogue it or collect per se. But in less than a year I have ended up with 3 DEs, 5 straight razors, 2 strops, a slate, 4 balsa blocks, 5 or 6 brushes and a whole shelf of soaps and splashes! I keep telling myself it's enough and then I hear about a slick and divine smelling new soap... I keep telling myself that once I find the ideal setup I will use up or let go the stuff that I don't use (but I doubt I will!)

I blame Lockdown and the need for accesible small comforts and distractions! Variety is the spice of life, I think partly what makes a hobby of this is the very fact it goes far beyond "need". Turning a chore into a short window of self-care, pampering and continuing to take pride in one's appearance even though you're not allowed to leave the house is quite a compelling move.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom