Things you don't see anymore

Very few places to get OX ( Beef ) Kidneys to make Steak and Kidney Pie. Supermarkets all stopped selling them as not enough demand.

Now days supermarkets (the ones near me anyway) don't really sell much or any offal, my local Sainsbury's doesn't even sell chicken liver anymore, even just a few years ago I remember buying lamb hearts from the Sainsburys in the town up the road. Local butchers sell a few things, but it's getting thin on the ground. I can't even remember the last time I saw one selling tripe.

A shame really, offal might not be everyone, but generally it's a lot cheaper than the prime cuts, and with a little preparation it can be delicious.

Or pigs heads, for that matter. Not that I want one. Just saying, like.

Agree about this as well. I've not seen any for sale in ages, aside from one time I randomly walked through a Sunday market in Hounslow of all places and a few places had a few pigs heads for sale.

Pigs head look a bit terrifying, but pig cheeks are tremendous.

I think some of the above are potential casualties to a landscape that wants our meat products free of blood, fat and shrink wrapped in plastic, as much as is possible.

Now days supermarkets (the ones near me anyway) don't really sell much or any offal, my local Sainsbury's doesn't even sell chicken liver anymore, even just a few years ago I remember buying lamb hearts from the Sainsburys in the town up the road. Local butchers sell a few things, but it's getting thin on the ground. I can't even remember the last time I saw one selling tripe.

A shame really, offal might not be everyone, but generally it's a lot cheaper than the prime cuts, and with a little preparation it can be delicious.

Agree about this as well. I've not seen any for sale in ages, aside from one time I randomly walked through a Sunday market in Hounslow of all places and a few places had a few pigs heads for sale.

Pigs head look a bit terrifying, but pig cheeks are tremendous.

I think some of the above are potential casualties to a landscape that wants our meat products free of blood, fat and shrink wrapped in plastic, as much as is possible.
Yes Lambs Hearts gone too, at the mo can get Liver and Lambs Kidney from my supermarket.Trouble is not many younger people have tried these inexpensive and nutritious products, yet they can scoff Meat laden with hot Chilli sauces.
I may have to resort to mail order, though new butcher near me says try in the Autumn.

Tongue sandwiches.
My grandmother made those.

Knuckle sandwiches.
My dad threatened those.

Clips round the ear, which weren't jewellery!

Freebies in cereal boxes:
Lenticular stickers with footballers kicking, or Shrinky-Dinks that you baked and they got smaller but thicker so you could make a keyring. I guess nowadays all cereal promos are "apply online to win so we can harvest your data"

Yeah newsprint ink at one point was used engine oil with added soot. Apart from how gross it would be to eat food contaminated with that, I think they were a tad worried it was carcinogenic.

Of course, back in the day nobody gave it any thought. My dad was always up on stuff like that before the general public, so he probably stopped us getting fish and chips until it went to the normal paper you get now.

And now I want chips for me tea! Gah! Enablers everywhere!!

I used to think that whole thing about wagon wheels being smaller nowadays was because we had grown and were holding them in adult hands.

Then I worked at a large crisps and snack manufacturers and every year we had to redo the packs with the weight statement being 10% less than the previous year. Shrinkflation is definitely true.

Spam fritters are either cockney rhyming slang for an intimate body part, or they're basically bait used in carp fishing. Neither of which stopped my school canteen from feeding it to us. Jamie Oliver wasn't born at that time.

Yes Lambs Hearts gone too, at the mo can get Liver and Lambs Kidney from my supermarket.Trouble is not many younger people have tried these inexpensive and nutritious products, yet they can scoff Meat laden with hot Chilli sauces.
I may have to resort to mail order, though new butcher near me says try in the Autumn.

I find the concept of ordering meat online to be so alien! I hope your new butcher gets some in at some point though.

Btw, I think I have seen tripe and ox kidneys for sale recently, I think in one of the groceries in Chinatown when I last went there in the last 6 months or so. I live near a few Asian/Turkish butchers/grocers and they are actually pretty good for stocking a few things which are often overlooked by other butchers.

Some people (like myself) have issues with B12 deficiency, offal (eg liver and kidneys) contains huge amounts of it, it really is great for you and can be incredibly delicious if given the right attention, a shame it's often overlooked by many.

It was BSE that put the mockers on offal.
I really tried to like liver. Hated it as a kid but my stepfather loved it and reckoned that if I had some in a decent restaurant it would be nothing like my 70s school dinner nightmare. He even said he'd swap if I didn't like it. So I tried it again but no. Only 2 things put me off bacon. Being covered in table sauces or wrapped round liver.

It was BSE that put the mockers on offal.
I really tried to like liver. Hated it as a kid but my stepfather loved it and reckoned that if I had some in a decent restaurant it would be nothing like my 70s school dinner nightmare. He even said he'd swap if I didn't like it. So I tried it again but no. Only 2 things put me off bacon. Being covered in table sauces or wrapped round liver.
Growing up I was vegetarian for a while because meat dishes were crap. It was only when I started to cook for myself and not fry or roast meat to boot sole textures that I realised my parents could not cook to save themselves.
I am now a fully paid up carnivore, including liver and kidney. Drool.

Back
Top Bottom