Things you don't see anymore

the "duplex" telephone line my grandparents shared with neighbours living next door. One phone line for 2 families. Not sure it existed in UK, it was quite normal in Italy in the '80s.
And that was the telephone set:
View attachment 76522

They had a small padlock to block the dial, and I had no access to the key.
I could pick that phone padlock with ease, had nobody to phone but if a padlock is put on something I had to try and defeat it!!! :)

Paul.

You still get pickled eggs in chippies though, so they've not died out. They've only moved.

Thing's you don't see anymore:
Tramps.
(Homeless people are not the same thing as a proper Harold Ramp. Your old "gentleman of the road" was a slightly comic figure whereas rough sleepers are far too tragic. And they don't stuff paper in their pants or have big oily beards and belts made of rope).

Edit: Dammit, too late.
Still a few paraffins in Edinburgh lol

Haliborange tablets
Kids with styes
Kids wearing balaklavas
Frozen Jubblies… you’d suck all the orange juice out of them and be left with an iceberg big enough to sink the Titanic
Foghorns (if you live near the coast)… creepy things, especially if it was… erm… foggy
The smell of coal fires
The smell of the gas works when we still had coal gas
Whole families going off on holiday in a motorbike and sidecar
People sitting in their houses with the front door left open
The Arthur Haines Show
The broken biscuit tub at the Grocer’s
The penny tray at Bob’s the Newsagent

That’s enough… my brain’s getting overheated

Haliborange tablets
Kids with styes
Kids wearing balaklavas
Frozen Jubblies… you’d suck all the orange juice out of them and be left with an iceberg big enough to sink the Titanic
Foghorns (if you live near the coast)… creepy things, especially if it was… erm… foggy
The smell of coal fires
The smell of the gas works when we still had coal gas
Whole families going off on holiday in a motorbike and sidecar
People sitting in their houses with the front door left open
The Arthur Haines Show
The broken biscuit tub at the Grocer’s
The penny tray at Bob’s the Newsagent

That’s enough… my brain’s getting overheated
They brought back some memories, the penny tray reminded me of Penny Arrows, Black Jacks, fruit salads and strips of licorish.

And remember when good shoes meant sturdy shoes with thick soles, tough enough to kick a ball past Roy of the Rovers and then run a 100 yard sprint on sports day and beat everyone even with your school blazer flapping and your school cap on backwards.

Back
Top Bottom