The Travel Shaving Thread

It's well known that I'm a man-tart so it will come as no surprise to hear I have a large wash bag. The bits that will be of interest are a stick of LEA, Yaqi Giotto brush, Yaqi orange scalloped razor and Lord Platinum blades.

I like to try the DE blades available at my destination - often this is in Asia where you can usually find a Gillette click plastic razor and blades - the click is OK but I'd like to try with a better razor. I always fly with just a carry-on - has anyone got any experience with airport security of taking a metal DE razor in their carry-on? Obviously DE blades are a no-no.

Never had a problem taking my DE89 through airport security (obviously without blades).

...i carry all this in a Diane's & Hathaway Military Wet Pack.
+1 on that military wash bag...I've had mine for almost 20 years now and best I've ever had.

I like ultralight backpacking and wild camping so I'm always on the lookout for the lightest and most effective hygiene stuff...but shaving tends to take a back seat. So, for 'normal' travel here's a few suggestions (or just stuff I do!)...

1. Take an ionic toothbrush...they do work. I used one as my primary toothbrush for a year and had a clean bill of dental health at the end of it. Same size as an ordinary toothbrush but you don't use toothpaste with them...space saved. (For minty breath use gum)

2. Silicon travel bottles are fantastic...a good sized one with hair and body shower gel...why take 2 bottles into the shower?

3. Travel size crystal deodorant...last ages and work brilliantly to reduce odour and sweat. Also, it's alum, so you have a post-shave/styptic as well.

4. Keep the shaving soap/cream and aftershave samples from all those vendors pushing their wares at you...easy to amass a week or two's supply.

5. I also have a few small glass bottles bought online that I use to decant my preferred aftershave splashes and balms into when travelling...never give up on your favourite things!

Final suggestion: If you want to relax when travelling, then don't compromise on what helps you to relax...if it's only going to take up a little more space, do you really need to leave your favourite razor behind and take a Bic disposable instead? Oh, and won't that blockbuster paperback take up just as much room in your bag as a Kindle and a hip flask?

Back in the dark old days when I ws on the road four of five days a week, I traveled really light: Gillette Good News sans slime strip and a stick of no-stink, Mennen or Brut. Whatever mini-bar of soap Holiday Inn or HoJo's had was my shaving lather de jour.

Moiving forward many moons, and flying most places, post 9-11, I ceased packing any toiletries in my carry-on. When you are at the mercy of a security inspector, and how badly his or her feet are aching, why chance the "removal" of an expensive razor or any item for that matter. My un-checked baggage has gotten extremely light.

As Greybeard, I have used the mini-crystal deodorant as a no-stink and a styptic with a few of Lipton's finest tea bags are in there in the event of a serious gouge. I still carry a Good News, but when I stay in Japan, the hotels have marvelous unbranded complimentary razors, a few of which seem to mysteriously find their way into my bag when I depart.

+1 on this ... there is always a good chance anything that looks half-expensive will go walk-abouts or be "confiscated" for some arcane reason.

I carry a cheap electric on longer haul flights, but everything else goes checked. These below can usually be gotten for under £15 and are smooth and comfortable for a quick bathroom freshen up mid-flight, but you need decent powerful AA batteries in them to get the best performance.

https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/PQ203_17/basic-shavers-dry-electric-travel-shaver-with-travel-pouch

I also have one of the Braun foil ones which are a similar price - not as smooth, but better on tougher stubble i find - keep it in the car for when i am working late

https://uk.braun.com/en-gb/male-grooming/shavers-for-men/mobileshave/mobileshave-m-90-shaver

I love these little lathering bowls. £10-£15 in most places. 100% collapsible and honestly one of the best things iv bought in terms of travel.
However any you lads that might fancy one go on ebay and search collapsible dog bowl and you'll get it for under £4 now (that's) a bargain

That was my first electric razor. Dirt cheap but works surprisingly well. My face objected strongly to the first couple of shaves but after that it was fine. I used it daily for several years. Maybe it just needs to run for a bit to knock down any rough edges on new blades.

Another option for the gram-counting travel shaver: the Bluebeard's revenge shavette. Only 40g.

Probably better for holiday not business travel. You need to relax and take your time with a shavette

Attachments

• bluebeards-revenge-shavette.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 2
Or the Feather Popular at 35gms - not the easiest DE to use, but it is not the end of the world if you lose it traveling.

The old Wilkinson Sword Classic plastic DE is, imho, a terrific travel DE. Very lightweight at just over 40gms, very mild and forgiving and very cheap to replace if you lose it. Personally, i find it much easier to find and hold a good angle with the Wilko against the Feather Popular, which seems to be a bit angle of attack critical.

Pair either of them with Derby Extra blades when travelling, in case you drank a little too much the night before ...