The three Ts - quality and price?

An almond cream from the three Ts can be bought in 150g,165g and 200g pots. Taking one supplier this works out at these amounts for 150g:

Taylors £7.00
Trumpers £11.06
Truefitts £13.63

Those who have tried all three - any correlation between price and quality?

I haven't tried the almond in all three but I think it's going to be hard to beat the value of Taylors. After all they are all made at the same place, but some people will always swear by Trumpers or T&H and they won't have anything else. Why not buy all three and post a review? ;)

Pete said:
I haven't tried the almond in all three but I think it's going to be hard to beat the value of Taylors. After all they are all made at the same place, but some people will always swear by Trumpers or T&H and they won't have anything else. Why not buy all three and post a review? ;)

I wouldn't put it past him - Fido appears to be on a one man mission to sample every shaving delight going! And good on him, because he's written some great reviews that are helping make this site ever richer. :shave

Pig Cat said:
I wouldn't put it past him - Fido appears to be on a one man mission to sample every shaving delight going! And good on him, because he's written some great reviews that are helping make this site ever richer. :shave

Hats off to Fido. He's as mad as the rest of us. :mrgreen:

I have sampled Trumpers and Taylors and have a Truefitts rose to try. In due course I'll try all three on consecutive days and post a review. But someone has probably already done this I'm sure. So I'm just interested in their views.

I decided a few weeks back to crack this shaving lark by systematically examining all the factors that contribute to a great shave, harnessing the experience of others to short circuit the learning experience. I'm trying out various suggestions made and will soon settle on my own plan for perfection that suits me.

Mad? Guilty as charged.

I managed to arrange my retirement as Chief Executive of a Local Authority when I was 52 when I finally decided I no longer wished to work with politicians. You might say either a fat cat or plump kitten as you desire. 14 years later I have tackled a number of subjects, the most delightful so far being a study of the history of opera followed by listening to or watching over 150 of the world's great operas. My daughter worked at the Royal Opera House for a few years, so that helped.

This is fun as well but I don't intend to try 150 creams and soaps. But I'm learning fast before I retire from this little study.

The three T's all have their strengths and weaknesses for me...
For cologne-type scents, I prefer T&H Grafton and TOBS Mr Taylor over the rest. Hon mention for T&H Trafalgar, though!
For florals, Trumper's Violet is a distant second to T&H Rose, which smells absolutely incredible to me. Everything else lags far behind, although I have yet to try the TOBS Lavender.
For the most moisturising, I prefer TOBS Almond or Trumper's Coconut. The much-loved TOBS Avocado hates my skin.
Value for money - Obviously TOBS wins as they all require similar amounts of cream to get the job done. They all lather pretty much the same for me, although the Taylor creams tend to vary in consistency and the runnier they are the better they lather for me. T&H are pretty dense and can be a bit fussy about water ratio in my experience, but when they lather, they do it exceptionally. None of the lather from any of these companies dry out on my face - you could be the slowest shaver in the world and still have whipped cream on your face towards the end of a pass.

Is there a difference in price and quality? Not enough to warrant the silly difference between T&H and Taylor, IMO. That said, although I may not always prefer them, I believe the T&H scents to be of slightly higher quality than the rest, and their quality control seems better/more consistent than the other two. Could just be my experience - who know how long that pot has been in a warehouse before it gets shipped to you?

Trying the majority of their output has left me with a zen-like ability to be without any of them in my shave den now. If I had to purchase one again to use forever, it'd probably be Mr Taylor, purely for the cost/scent. I do want to try the lavender first, though!

I've tried Trumpers sandalwood and Taylors Rose and I did find the Trumpers to be much richer and longer lasting and the scent seemed to last longer too.

The tube cap also broke on the Taylors so had to nick something off the other 'arf. :D

JDE said:
Is there a difference in price and quality? Not enough to warrant the silly difference between T&H and Taylor, IMO. That said, although I may not always prefer them, I believe the T&H scents to be of slightly higher quality than the rest, and their quality control seems better/more consistent than the other two. Could just be my experience - who know how long that pot has been in a warehouse before it gets shipped to you?

Scent does seem to be the biggest difference when compared to efficacy, though I love Trumpers tubes because of the design and the fact it is a metal tube.
I have yet to try DR Harris but that will happen one day I am sure, but then it ain't one of the three tees either :D

I did not read your post as a comparison of the almond cream, it was pick a product and compare the prices from the three, is the price difference merited?

I like the all of the three T’s, I used them all when I started out and was going through the blade comparison phase. It has been a while but from memory I thought they all performed well, however T&H scents are my favourite of the three and as a complete range I would go for 1805 as the best non offensive day time scent.

I don’t mean this to sound as if I am a frivolous spender but money does not often play a factor in my shaving spending. I don’t budget for every product as such but I do set aside a regular amount and if the thing I want is expensive I will not buy anything for a few months and save up and/or sell some stuff to fund it. What I mean is if I happened to find I like the T&H Almond cream the most then the cost difference is not a factor unless we are talking silly money.

Fido said:
I decided a few weeks back to crack this shaving lark by systematically examining all the factors that contribute to a great shave, harnessing the experience of others to short circuit the learning experience. I'm trying out various suggestions made and will soon settle on my own plan for perfection that suits me.

I have found one fatal flaw in the plan Fido...you're assuming the contributors know what they are taking about. :lol:

Actually the most difficult thing to realise is that it is not necessary to get a "great" shave all the time
and to know exactly when to say "it will do". Trouble is you can only practice once a day but once you have released your'e
ego from the challenge then you will arrive more quickly at your'e destination.

antdad said:
once you have released your'e
ego from the challenge (grasshopper) then you will arrive more quickly at your'e destination.

Extract from 'Zen and the art of shaving' by Antdad. ISBN: TSR008765 :lol:

Audiolab said:
I did not read your post as a comparison of the almond cream, it was pick a product and compare the prices from the three, is the price difference merited?
I realise that I didn't answer the question. I admit I went off on one a bit - this shiz is dear to my heart or something, sorry. For me...

Taylor Almond performs the best and is easily the most moisturising of the three. The scent is fairly weak, though. And a little synthetic. It's definitely worth the money full stop, but the scent may not be what you're looking for if you want an "almond" cream.
GFT Almond is nice, but is a very sweet almond smell, like a cake. I do not like "gourmand" scents in grooming products, personally. That said, it's just about worth the money if you want a marzipan-y sweet cream and aren't massively concerned about moisturisation.
T&H Almond has a nice natural almond scent, and shaves as well as the Trumpers. Just about worth the money if you want a natural almond scented cream and aren't massively concerned about moisturisation.

Seeing as how I would pick the TOBS, it could be seen that the price is difference isn't justified, but for what you get, I think the GFT and T&H offerings are worth their cost. I'm not sure if that makes sense.

antdad said:
Trouble is you can only practice once a day but once you have released your'e ego from the challenge then you will arrive more quickly at your'e destination.

Essentially I agree with Tony on this one.
This does not mean that I disapprove of Fido's approach - indeed I enjoy his posts, his enthusiasm and energy - but this is simply not my way of having fun.
Please take this as an sympathetic observation rather than a criticism.

I think I have already arrived at my destination. I've found which things I like and realise that most of it is about personal preferences. I don't expect perfection in anything, just an acceptable standard which we each define for ourselves. And you do get there quicker by asking people who know more than you do about a subject.
Now that I have tried all the 3Ts creams it seems obvious that Taylors are best value for the price. But I will use all three from time to time because they are all excellent in their own way.

Fido said:
Now that I have tried all the 3Ts creams it seems obvious that Taylors are best value for the price. But I will use all three from time to time because they are all excellent in their own way.

Well said!

I love them all (well the ones I have tried) and it is great to have such a lovely range of choices.

Back
Top Bottom