The three Ts - quality and price?

Messages
6,280
Location
New Forest, England.
An almond cream from the three Ts can be bought in 150g,165g and 200g pots. Taking one supplier this works out at these amounts for 150g:

Taylors £7.00
Trumpers £11.06
Truefitts £13.63

Those who have tried all three - any correlation between price and quality?
 
Messages
726
I haven't tried the almond in all three but I think it's going to be hard to beat the value of Taylors. After all they are all made at the same place, but some people will always swear by Trumpers or T&H and they won't have anything else. Why not buy all three and post a review? ;)
 
Messages
5,473
Location
Suffolk
Pete said:
I haven't tried the almond in all three but I think it's going to be hard to beat the value of Taylors. After all they are all made at the same place, but some people will always swear by Trumpers or T&H and they won't have anything else. Why not buy all three and post a review? ;)

I wouldn't put it past him - Fido appears to be on a one man mission to sample every shaving delight going! And good on him, because he's written some great reviews that are helping make this site ever richer. :shave
 
Messages
726
Pig Cat said:
I wouldn't put it past him - Fido appears to be on a one man mission to sample every shaving delight going! And good on him, because he's written some great reviews that are helping make this site ever richer. :shave

Hats off to Fido. He's as mad as the rest of us. :mrgreen:
 
OP
Fido
Messages
6,280
Location
New Forest, England.
I have sampled Trumpers and Taylors and have a Truefitts rose to try. In due course I'll try all three on consecutive days and post a review. But someone has probably already done this I'm sure. So I'm just interested in their views.

I decided a few weeks back to crack this shaving lark by systematically examining all the factors that contribute to a great shave, harnessing the experience of others to short circuit the learning experience. I'm trying out various suggestions made and will soon settle on my own plan for perfection that suits me.

Mad? Guilty as charged.

I managed to arrange my retirement as Chief Executive of a Local Authority when I was 52 when I finally decided I no longer wished to work with politicians. You might say either a fat cat or plump kitten as you desire. 14 years later I have tackled a number of subjects, the most delightful so far being a study of the history of opera followed by listening to or watching over 150 of the world's great operas. My daughter worked at the Royal Opera House for a few years, so that helped.

This is fun as well but I don't intend to try 150 creams and soaps. But I'm learning fast before I retire from this little study.
 

JDE

Messages
73
The three T's all have their strengths and weaknesses for me...
For cologne-type scents, I prefer T&H Grafton and TOBS Mr Taylor over the rest. Hon mention for T&H Trafalgar, though!
For florals, Trumper's Violet is a distant second to T&H Rose, which smells absolutely incredible to me. Everything else lags far behind, although I have yet to try the TOBS Lavender.
For the most moisturising, I prefer TOBS Almond or Trumper's Coconut. The much-loved TOBS Avocado hates my skin.
Value for money - Obviously TOBS wins as they all require similar amounts of cream to get the job done. They all lather pretty much the same for me, although the Taylor creams tend to vary in consistency and the runnier they are the better they lather for me. T&H are pretty dense and can be a bit fussy about water ratio in my experience, but when they lather, they do it exceptionally. None of the lather from any of these companies dry out on my face - you could be the slowest shaver in the world and still have whipped cream on your face towards the end of a pass.

Is there a difference in price and quality? Not enough to warrant the silly difference between T&H and Taylor, IMO. That said, although I may not always prefer them, I believe the T&H scents to be of slightly higher quality than the rest, and their quality control seems better/more consistent than the other two. Could just be my experience - who know how long that pot has been in a warehouse before it gets shipped to you?

Trying the majority of their output has left me with a zen-like ability to be without any of them in my shave den now. If I had to purchase one again to use forever, it'd probably be Mr Taylor, purely for the cost/scent. I do want to try the lavender first, though!
 
Messages
23
I've tried Trumpers sandalwood and Taylors Rose and I did find the Trumpers to be much richer and longer lasting and the scent seemed to last longer too.

The tube cap also broke on the Taylors so had to nick something off the other 'arf. :D
 
Messages
304
JDE said:
Is there a difference in price and quality? Not enough to warrant the silly difference between T&H and Taylor, IMO. That said, although I may not always prefer them, I believe the T&H scents to be of slightly higher quality than the rest, and their quality control seems better/more consistent than the other two. Could just be my experience - who know how long that pot has been in a warehouse before it gets shipped to you?

Scent does seem to be the biggest difference when compared to efficacy, though I love Trumpers tubes because of the design and the fact it is a metal tube.
I have yet to try DR Harris but that will happen one day I am sure, but then it ain't one of the three tees either :D
 
Messages
2,878
Location
Inverclyde
I did not read your post as a comparison of the almond cream, it was pick a product and compare the prices from the three, is the price difference merited?

I like the all of the three T’s, I used them all when I started out and was going through the blade comparison phase. It has been a while but from memory I thought they all performed well, however T&H scents are my favourite of the three and as a complete range I would go for 1805 as the best non offensive day time scent.

I don’t mean this to sound as if I am a frivolous spender but money does not often play a factor in my shaving spending. I don’t budget for every product as such but I do set aside a regular amount and if the thing I want is expensive I will not buy anything for a few months and save up and/or sell some stuff to fund it. What I mean is if I happened to find I like the T&H Almond cream the most then the cost difference is not a factor unless we are talking silly money.
 
Messages
10,991
Fido said:
I decided a few weeks back to crack this shaving lark by systematically examining all the factors that contribute to a great shave, harnessing the experience of others to short circuit the learning experience. I'm trying out various suggestions made and will soon settle on my own plan for perfection that suits me.

I have found one fatal flaw in the plan Fido...you're assuming the contributors know what they are taking about. :lol:

Actually the most difficult thing to realise is that it is not necessary to get a "great" shave all the time
and to know exactly when to say "it will do". Trouble is you can only practice once a day but once you have released your'e
ego from the challenge then you will arrive more quickly at your'e destination.
 

Boab

Administrator
Staff Member
Messages
3,800
antdad said:
once you have released your'e
ego from the challenge (grasshopper) then you will arrive more quickly at your'e destination.

Extract from 'Zen and the art of shaving' by Antdad. ISBN: TSR008765 :lol:
 
Top Bottom