The Sound of Shaving

When I hear the pronounced "snick" of blade against beard I know that my prep hasn't been good enough.
Do you like shaving to that string section?

Bearing in mind that I've not been usind DE razors very long .
This is how I understand it ( and obviously I may be wrong ) the 'snick' is feedback to let you know that your doing it right. ??

I don't know whether the sound can demonstrate that you are doing things correctly, I just know what I prefer which is the beard as soft as possible and blade as sharp as, within reason. Maybe I use more lather than most...I do need a snorkel.

I don't hear anything when I shave with my Feather Artist Club - but those blades are so sharp you can't even look at them without cutting yourself.

Normally though, with a DE I hear the sound of whiskers against steel.

Vinny likes.

I know I've got it right when I can hear the hairs being cut, but I can't feel them being cut.

Apart from that, the only sound is the cold and hot water tanks refilling, and maybe an early morning fart or 3.

Ian

N.A. wrote:
I do like the 'rasp' of my Futur. So do my bristles - they give it a standing ovation every time. Nothing to do with lack of prep, just the way it is.

I get the same with my Futur and i don't seem to get any adverse irritation and i tend to burn my face off with my face cloth to soften my beard i love the hot Water

antdad said:
When I hear the pronounced "snick" of blade against beard I know that my prep hasn't been good enough.
Do you like shaving to that string section?

I am in that section, unless;

the blade is done or when trying a new soap that does not lather very well - be it a bad product or me not holding my mouth just right. The only other time i can recall was when i used a Merkur Vision, then the blades would ping n twang their way thru the stubble. This could be an adjustable thang given Nakeds Futur rasping away. :)

My 1912 makes quite a racket, I get a feeling it's more to do with the acoustics of the head than the blade but it is rather nice.

My newly acquired slant I would say is the quietest but I can't say I've paid that much attention.

Yup, I agree about the noisy Futur. My Gillettes hardly make a sound compared to the Futur. Must be something to do with the design of its head. Very open. Slightly OT but I heard recently that it was shaving with his Merkur Futur that inspired Damon Albarn to write Clint Eastwood for his 'virtual' band Gorillaz. Everybody now...

"I ain't happy, I'm feelin' glad
I got sunshine in a bag
I'm useless, but not for long, the Futur is comin' on"

:D

It was the sound that actually got me hooked after my first DE shave.

The sound took me right back to being a little kid watching my grandfather shave with DE and the noise is what is paramount in my memory. It immediately transported me back to those times. It's still the bit I lovethe most, that, and the fact my face feels so good afterwards :D

Back
Top Bottom