The Quandry ...

I have a Merkur 39c 'LongSlant' and I have used it a few times, though not to the point of it getting worn out by any means.

If I do a three pass shave or less, then I don't get a close enough shave, but I can feel the face becoming a bit irritated part way through the third pass. A fourth pass will bet it closer still, but still need some buffing/polishing work to get a 'smooth enough' shave I'm not talking about the 'BBS' close shave, everytime, just smooth enough that I don't feel like the shave isn't finished, or that patches of stubble seem to catch my collar, etc.

The blades seem like sharp brands, Iridium Supers, 7 O'clock Yellows, Bleue Extra, Feathers, Sputnik, Red IP, and so on. Three passes aren't close enough; four passes means bite, sting, burn, blood & blah blah blah by the post-shave stage.

Anyone have any insights, advice, sympathies ...?

If I try and explain it better at this time, it'll end up as a load of blathering ... so I'll leave it here for now, and try and explain better if there are follow-up questions from any of you.

Thanks in advance!

This sounds like a technique issue as you have tried some good blades, or, maybe the slant is not for you. It is not uncommon to read that 10 years exoerience is requred before a slant is used, other folks claim that it is too mild.

I didn't buy into the slant TBH but that's not to say it won't work for you.

In theory the flat face should make it easier to keep the correct angle but the sweet spot is really quite small so if you are not spot on it won't give you the best of shaves. Use it every shave for a couple of weeks and see if things improve.

In short, if you can get better shaves from other razors in 3 passes, use them.

I also have a 39C. I like using it from time to time, but I can get equally good, if not better shaves from other razors that I own. It really is a 'horses for courses' thing. Put the slant aside for a while, use something else, and then come back to it later.

Ian

Hi Urban H my surreal friend. I used a long handled slant & Feathers for years with good results, so I'm just guessing that it's something to do with what was suggested previously, ie the angle at which you're using it or similar. Since other razors work for you there's obviously nowt wrong with your technique in general, this challenge is specific to the slant. Which is why I suggest you try altering the shaving angle. It is fairly unforgiving I found and deffo does have as said before a "sweet spot" however the longer handle makes it easier to just miss the best shaving angle. Maybe try also holding the handle about halfway up its shaft with just a thumb & 2 fingers, which if a light grip is used should give you a real sense of just what's going on at the head.

Having reread the last sentence I now wait with some trepidation the suggestions which may ensue ! ;)

All the best.

JohnnyO.

I've also got the 39c, I have quite a light beard, but I can still get a little irritation on my right jawline now and again - I tend to think it's my technique more than anything. It's my daily razor, with feathers - the best blade I've tried so far. However, I do find that the better quality soaps and creams I use the better the results; Trumpers violet, ToBS Rose, C&E Nomad and Nanny's (Sharon's) Exotic are the ones I tend to alternate between at the moment - all providing great cushioning.
I'd also recommend a pre-shave treatment, I find that something to moisturise the skin rather than an oil better for me (the purpose being to enhance the skins elasticity); body butters are excellent :) as they can contain shea butter, jojoba and other advantageous oils etc, Belanos Therapy on eBay also make a great shave oil (but I use it as preshave) made from jojoba oil and vit e oil, flavoured with pepermint and lime. Aloe vera gel to sooth post shave is better than any shave balm I've tried, but I believe a moistuising hand cream would work just as well.
Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom