The most 'Barbershop' of Aftershaves?

Which aftershave evokes the most 'Barbershop' experience? For me it used to be Pinaud Clubman, but having used it now for more than six months, it's got to be Floid Blue.

Are we talking about the smell that most reminds you of barber's shops from your youth? Or just the most classic aftershave?

If it's the former, I think my old barber shop smelled of Wahl clipper oil and barbicide. He was way too cheap to provide aftershaves.

If we're just talking classic aftershave then for me it's bay rum, the most original one I know is the TOBS version even though the bottle is cheap and nasty and it doesn't last any longer than 85 seconds. Sunburyboy's is nice. Ogalalla limes is also quite super.

Agree with the above Piaud is dirt cheap winner. Think a talcy Brut. I got a 500ml flagon from a mate who went to NY. For $8. It's not fancy that's fir sure.

C'mon you lot wot about Brut? Who didn't grow up with Bazza and Our Enry splashing it all over? Every haircut I had as kid no matter where I went, I swear the barbers (yes, they still had them on most corners in the 70s) reeked of this stuff.

Until a few months ago, this was why I hated Brut. Bazza could have splashed liquid horse crap on himself and still pulled more birds than Bernard Matthews factory at christmas.

The splash is far to sweet and pungent if you splash it on, and most blokes did. The AS though, if used with restraint is really good. No, really. I love it.

Pre 1964 (when Faberge brought Brut out) our local barbershop in the west end of Glasgow reeked of what I swear could have passed for the smell of wallpaper paste. This belonged to the grey gloop which was plastered over your hair to produce a cement like glossy finish. Then I went to Fusco's for a D.A. & fristion & waqs entranced by the exotic scents of the bay rum which was used to blow dry the quiff & DA.

Brut >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> still love the stuff (specially Mama Bear's Brute & the EDT from Carbolic Soap Co) but I don't really recall any barbershops using it. In those days of course the whole shop was usually filled by a thick fug of smoke, produced by the ever present woodbines of both the barbers and the waiting guys from Yarrows & John Brown shipyards.

JohnnyO. \:dodgy:

Italian Blue Floid, for me. My wife says I smell like an Itlaian stallion when I've used it, like it was a bad thing :D Good stuff though (I guess the barbers shop smell isn't about high end edt:s)!

When I was growing up as a kid in Belfast in the 60's, the barber always finished a haircut by splashing nice smelly stuff over my hair and rubbing it in.

I'd totally forgotten this until recently when I got a Trumpers sample pack. One of the samples was Bay Rum, and the instant I opened it, BAM!! It took me all the way back to a load of forgotten childhood memories. Funny how smells can do that!

Anyway, for me Bay Rum is forever the smell of the barber shop!

JohnnyO said:
In those days of course the whole shop was usually filled by a thick fug of smoke, produced by the ever present woodbines of both the barbers and the waiting guys from Yarrows & John Brown shipyards.

JohnnyO. \:dodgy:

I liked that description - thanks Johnny...

Hiya,

The stuff that various barbers splashed on me over the years has never been especially pleasant to my nose. Heh, certainly nothing I'd wanna use the same EdT as well as the AS version.

Penhaligons 'Racquets' cologne has an extremely classy old time Barbershop scent. It's got a pronounced talc thing going on, which appeals to me. It's a little powdery (which works for this juice), and overall reminds me of a high class old time Barbershop.

I have the shaving cream and will get that out as a special treat. Actually, who am I kidding. I have no control over when that stuff will demand my attention.

Anyway, the Racquets cologne is well worth a look,

Martin

Back
Top Bottom