The last of the 'Bodgers'...?

I was dismayed to hear that Vulfix had discontinued the Grosvenor 404 (Bodger) brush.

There are still a few out there. This eBay vendor has two available at the time of posting @£17.95 inc., and this seller has one to offer at £24.53 inc. shipping from Ireland.

I won't be parting with mine!

Edit: I note that the first vendor describes the brush to be a combination of boar and badger, whereas the second says it's a mix of synthetic and badger. I've always understood this to be a boar/badger brush - thus the name 'Bodger'.

Last edited:
I was dismayed to hear that Vulfix had discontinued the Grosvenor 404 (Bodger) brush.

There are still a few out there. This eBay vendor has two available at the time of posting @£17.95 inc., and this seller has one to offer at £24.53 inc. shipping from Ireland.

Edit: I note that the first vendor describes the brush to be a combination of boar and badger, whereas the second says it's a mix of synthetic and badger. I've always understood this to be a boar/badger brush - thus the name 'Bodger'.

I like the brush, but see it more as a boar brush than a mixie; I could count the number of badger hairs, mine has, on one hand :)

The old me would buy this to have one, but I must be changing as I am resisting. Having said that I just bought 4 Omega boars for posterity in case they disappear.

The eBay vendor is now down to one. Guess why.

It's described on the brush as "Bristle and Badger-Sterilized".

I like these mixed brushes, and thanks for the heads-up to enable securing a spare. On the other hand, the Vie-Long badger-horsehair brush is not top of my favourites.

Last edited:
The eBay vendor is now down to one. Guess why.

It's described on the brush as "Bristle and Badger-Sterilized".

I like these mixed brushes, and thanks for the heads-up to enable securing a spare. On the other hand, the Vie-Long badger-horsehair brush is not top of my favourites.
Good for you!

My Bodger is up there among my favourite brushes. It is certainly the best value brush I have bought - I paid around £11, though this was a few years ago.

On this subject, i dug my 404 out of the cabinet and its looking a little tired and spikey - whats the best way to "wash" a brush like this to restore it natural splay and softness.

Looking at it now, If it was human hair you would say it needs conditioner, but what do i use to bring the life back to a 404 mixed Boar / Badger ?

On this subject, i dug my 404 out of the cabinet and its looking a little tired and spikey - whats the best way to "wash" a brush like this to restore it natural splay and softness.

Looking at it now, If it was human hair you would say it needs conditioner, but what do i use to bring the life back to a 404 mixed Boar / Badger ?
I have elsewhere seen conditioner or a combined shampoo and conditioner recommended, but I haven't tried it myself. However, I can't see it doing any harm, although I wouldn't use too much to begin with.

There's still one 404 left on "the Bay", and, because every time I want or need something in particular, I find it's sold out for ever, or discontinued, I have a No. 10 mix en route. It's not as elegant as the Grosvenor, in my eyes, but a nicely shaped handle nonetheless.

"Panic-buying" discontinued shaving brushes is much more rewarding and pleasurable than, for example, going mad on buying lavatory paper or carbonated bottled water.

Got a Grosvenor. Washed it and test-lathered a few times. It's a nice brush with a very comfortable and high-quality turned handle. The knot is archaically smallish (a bit disproportioned according to modern expectations) but performs rather well, similar to a good Italian boar. Lost a few bristles during the initial wash but then no shedding while test-lathering. I'm going to use it for sure: somehow all small boar-bristled brushes left my inventory and this historically important piece shall fill the void.

This is a truly iconic budget shaving brush and was my first proper, quality brush as I’m sure it was for many people that peruse this forum. The handle is a true classic, it’s a great size and oh so comfortable. A big loss so if you can get one, grab it while you can. I’m sure I’ve still got mine somewhere…

Back
Top Bottom