The last of the 'Bodgers'...?

There's still one 404 left on "the Bay", and, because every time I want or need something in particular, I find it's sold out for ever, or discontinued, I have a No. 10 mix en route. It's not as elegant as the Grosvenor, in my eyes, but a nicely shaped handle nonetheless.

"Panic-buying" discontinued shaving brushes is much more rewarding and pleasurable than, for example, going mad on buying lavatory paper or carbonated bottled water.

Got a Grosvenor. Washed it and test-lathered a few times. It's a nice brush with a very comfortable and high-quality turned handle. The knot is archaically smallish (a bit disproportioned according to modern expectations) but performs rather well, similar to a good Italian boar. Lost a few bristles during the initial wash but then no shedding while test-lathering. I'm going to use it for sure: somehow all small boar-bristled brushes left my inventory and this historically important piece shall fill the void.

Gairdner

Supporter
Supporter
This is a truly iconic budget shaving brush and was my first proper, quality brush as I’m sure it was for many people that peruse this forum. The handle is a true classic, it’s a great size and oh so comfortable. A big loss so if you can get one, grab it while you can. I’m sure I’ve still got mine somewhere…

Gairdner

Supporter
Supporter
It’ll be very similar. That particular range were mostly produced in pure badger with a few all-boar examples too. The Grosvenor could also be had in pure badger but I never saw it in just boar. The pure badger ones were much more expensive and most of us, I would have thought, avoided them. Mixed ones were very good especially the 404 Grosvenor. It’s sad that the 404 is going to be 404’d…

Too bad that they are discontinuing this brush. I really like my Grosvenor.

Diamon Edge seems to have it still in stock:

I now have a trio of new Vulfix B&B mixes i.e. 403, 404 and No.10.

SGS in London also appear to have a few still in stock, but I think they're down to the last 404 Grosvenor and a couple of Mayfairs.

Top Bottom