The Joy of .....Shaving!

Like many busy people I came to regard shaving as a chore, something to be endured not enjoyed. I am sure this is a commonly held view and a possible reason for the "popularity" of the 2-3 day growth look. But now, having decided to return to DE shaving, and cast aside the disposable razor and the can of goo in favour of a badger brush, a nice soap and my trusty Edwin Jagger DE 89L I find I have re-discovered the joy of shaving. It's something I now look forward to, a morning ritual to be enjoyed. It doesn't have to take that much longer to shave using this method either,(an argument often used against it) seven minutes and I can be done.Much better though the full ritual, savour the moment, take time and enjoy the shave.Of course if your a family man like myself or share your house with others you will have to ignore the desperate shouts and the hammering on the bathroom door, or alternative wait until your sure you wont be disturbed. This morning however I woke early and enjoyed a relaxed shave before anyone else was up and about.

Yes, actual shaving will only take up about 0.0000001 percent of your time, the rest is spent in buying, selling, trading, scrounging, piffing and collecting soaps, creams, balms, razors and all smellies. Then you have to post on here as well! :lol:

I couldn't agree more, I used to find shaving a real chore, something to be avoided if at all possible.

The world of DE shaving has turned it into something to be enjoyed.

whiterosegent said:
Like many busy people I came to regard shaving as a chore, something to be endured not enjoyed. I am sure this is a commonly held view and a possible reason for the "popularity" of the 2-3 day growth look. But now, having decided to return to DE shaving, and cast aside the disposable razor and the can of goo in favour of a badger brush, a nice soap and my trusty Edwin Jagger DE 89L I find I have re-discovered the joy of shaving. It's something I now look forward to, a morning ritual to be enjoyed. It doesn't have to take that much longer to shave using this method either,(an argument often used against it) seven minutes and I can be done.Much better though the full ritual, savour the moment, take time and enjoy the shave.Of course if your a family man like myself or share your house with others you will have to ignore the desperate shouts and the hammering on the bathroom door, or alternative wait until your sure you wont be disturbed. This morning however I woke early and enjoyed a relaxed shave before anyone else was up and about.
Well put that man!!
I actually really look forward to shaving now and these sentiments catch the spirit of the thing :shave
Cheers,
Timslick.

Yup - this definitely seems like the direction I am heading...soon I'll be starting a new job and I will have to get up around 6 - I really hope I stick to it...may even shave in the evenings actually :shave

BillyHoyle said:
Yup - this definitely seems like the direction I am heading...soon I'll be starting a new job and I will have to get up around 6 - I really hope I stick to it...may even shave in the evenings actually :shave

Evening shaves are quite popular hereabouts with chaps who have to be at work early. That way, you won't end-up rushing, which isn't as enjoyable and can be a recipe for irritation.

Amen to that!

It's a costly passion though isn't it. I'm seriously thinking about importing a Feather and a Joris from the States and I reckon it will be quite a bit of moolah!

Oddly enough, I never saw shaving as a chore in the times when I used a cartridge razor. But it is only when using a DE razor - 1992 - 2001, June 2011 to now, that I became more aware of how to shave, and how to enjoy it more. It is probably because of not being locked into particular brands. A KOS Azor for instance works well with KOS shaving gel; a Gillette Contour worked well with other Gillette products, and a Wilkinson Sword Protector Diamond worked well with these gels as well. That is - using the same brands for razor and gel, or where they are compatible.

But with DE shaving, because there is no brand locking, the user can try out so many combinations and permutations of razor, blade, brush, cream, passes etc that I enjoy the exploration of it all.

Back
Top Bottom