"The Gentleman" Super Platinum Max x 7 - Indian blades

Another completely new one on me. I purchased some bits and pieces from one of our well-known UK suppliers of all things shaving, who was kind enough to
include a saloon pack of these Indian blades. According to the packaging, they are manufactured, packed and marketed by Posh Personal Care LLP, in the state of Haryana.

I will, of course, be doing some empirical assessment of these ("gift horses" and all that), but I wonder if anyone else has knowledge or experience of them?

It's fascinating how something completely new (to me, at any rate) in the blades department suddenly appears. I recall that not too long ago I, and others too, was worrying about blade famines or "Bladegeddon", but at least two previously-unknown brands have arrived in my blade store this year; both gratis on the back of other purchases.

The Gentleman blades.JPG

Well, there's this for starters ...

I was hoping to recognise names in the Directors list to see if it's an offshoot of Malhotra, or something ... but no.

"Our Vision is to become no. 2 conglomirate (sic) in the space of Razor Business in India by 2025" ... number 2, eh? Aim high! Second place? First loser.

Wanna know about their plant? Coming soon ...

Not to do it down as there are loads of really great blades to be found from India and I think it's well known that my preference is generally for something from that subcontinent. It looks to me like a startup. There seem to be loads if you scrape just a little below the surface. I do wonder who actually makes them, though. Coming in a "Saloon Pack" indicates that these are intended for professional use - as in Barbers.

Give 'em a go and let us know ...

Do you have a good point of reference, say, current market SuperMax Blue Diamond Platinum?

Ah! It's was the Willy's brand before these ...
Gentleman and Willy's blades are the offerings on the Pearl website, and their recommended blades for their razors.
I'm still surprised that the two razor brands mentioned seem to have sprung out of thin air. Aside from the Pearl website, I can find not a skerrick about them.

Curiosity, really.

Well, there's this for starters ...

I was hoping to recognise names in the Directors list to see if it's an offshoot of Malhotra, or something ... but no.

"Our Vision is to become no. 2 conglomirate (sic) in the space of Razor Business in India by 2025" ... number 2, eh? Aim high! Second place? First loser.

Wanna know about their plant? Coming soon ...

Not to do it down as there are loads of really great blades to be found from India and I think it's well known that my preference is generally for something from that subcontinent. It looks to me like a startup. There seem to be loads if you scrape just a little below the surface. I do wonder who actually makes them, though. Coming in a "Saloon Pack" indicates that these are intended for professional use - as in Barbers.

Give 'em a go and let us know ...

Do you have a good point of reference, say, current market SuperMax Blue Diamond Platinum?

Paul, I had a look at the back of my Lancet Super Platinum's and they were made in Haryana, Lancet no longer exist, so it could be Lancet went out of business and Posh bought their machines or something?

IMG_20210724_193740.jpg

I don't think anyone can compete with Gillette in India! I imagine Supermax are second, so aiming for second is probably as good as it gets.

Another completely new one on me. I purchased some bits and pieces from one of our well-known UK suppliers of all things shaving, who was kind enough to
include a saloon pack of these Indian blades. According to the packaging, they are manufactured, packed and marketed by Posh Personal Care LLP, in the state of Haryana.

I will, of course, be doing some empirical assessment of these ("gift horses" and all that), but I wonder if anyone else has knowledge or experience of them?

It's fascinating how something completely new (to me, at any rate) in the blades department suddenly appears. I recall that not too long ago I, and others too, was worrying about blade famines or "Bladegeddon", but at least two previously-unknown brands have arrived in my blade store this year; both gratis on the back of other purchases.

View attachment 74159

I've come across a few other DE blades for sale made by the same factory, both for sale at Extra Shaving in Turkey.

Indian made blades to not get the glory as Russian made ones, but with the right razor they can produce a shave as good as anything. I recall the combination of Gillette Winner Platinum/Lancet Super Platinum in my Old Type to be one of the smoothest, most comfortable combinations.

• Posh Personal Care is engaged in the manufacturing of Shaving Razor Blade in Sonepat - Haryana (India) along with other personal care and toiletries items.
  • POSH have installed capacity of 5 Grinding Machine Lines
  • Currently, running with 2 Grinding Machine Lines with fully integrated assembly process at full capacity
  • Each Grinding Machine is producing 6 lakh blades per day
  • Currently, producing 12 lakh blades per day with 2 Grinding Machine
From their Website. Lakh = 100,000.

Yep! Seems absolutely feasible that they've acquired the gear from Lancet and started up.

Indeed! The Lancet Sharp Edge Super Platinum is a fantastic blade (although the Lancet Advance Plus Super Platinum was so-so), so here's hoping (certainly for @Ferrum ) that these Super Platinum are more akin to Lancet's better Super Platinum.

What I will say, from having tried out quite an array of Indian blades from outside of the SuperMax camp, from CentWin to Lancet to Topaz to RK to Zircon to SaiMax, there's a certain fierceness to the blades when first used. Don't read that negatively, because I don't mean harsh. I also don't mean sharp and bitey like Shanghai/Gillette blades can be, but sharp and playful like a tiger perhaps. Different kind of raw sharpness. They will warn before biting, whereas Shanghai/Gillette can just bite without warning.

Have fun!

Well are they any good? I just bought a pearl it was advertised with 55 gillette Wilkinson Sword blades, yet turned up with 50 of these gentlemen blades. Tbh they look cheap, not sure I want to let them loose on my face.
I've emailed the company to say not as advertised asking how do I return them.

I haven't tried them yet, and have no immediate plans to do so. However, curiosity, and the prospect of something sharp and playful like a tiger, presumably a Bengal, rather than a Siberian, will doubtless draw me to them.

Well are they any good? I just bought a pearl it was advertised with 55 gillette Wilkinson Sword blades, yet turned up with 50 of these gentlemen blades. Tbh they look cheap, not sure I want to let them loose on my face.
I've emailed the company to say not as advertised asking how do I return them.
Same here got the gentlemen’s blades, tried one and thought oh no this razor is no good, changed to a Astra platinum and it works fine

In the spirit of "Better late Than Never", I came across the unopened saloon pack of "The Gentleman" razor blades, upwards of a year since I got them gratis.

I decided to give one a go, so I put it in a FaTip Piccolo with the SB option.

Never again. I can get along with most blades of known good reputation, but this thing is the most Ungentlemanly blade I've come across in many a moon. One pass, and although bloodless, I feel as if I've been shaving with a blunt potato peeler, further equipped with a jagged, serrated edge.

As the proud owner of 49 of these monstrous things, I'll need to find a proper use for them; paint-scraping, perhaps.

I had intended to check out the Willy's blades, of which I also have a considerable number supplied to me gratis, but serious thoughts have intervened, at least until my face stops smarting. I'm not sure that, at my age, I need too many more adventures of this sort.

But, but these are "the sharpest blades ever" ... and "designed by the Japanese" according to the website.

The website does seem to have expanded the range with several offerings now across stainless, chrome and platinum, and one curiously named after the middle-eastern split tip sword "Zulfiqar" perhaps going after Zorrik Talvar in concept.

We did have some thoughts that this was Lancet's outfit gone through some revitalisation. Again, shame they don't have (or do they) the Lancet Sharp Edge Super Platinum, which was absolutely superb (like up there with Gillette Winner Special Platinum kinda good) while everything else from them was a bit meh.

Shame. Ho-hum!

In the same vein, who talks about those WIlly's blades a year or two on? Upstart, cash made, move one.

Some hyperbole, there. I reckon the Japanese designers have a lot to answer for, and I feel that a "How many designers does it......?" joke lurks in there.

The six varieties of blade on the Posh website all seem to be "platinum coated stainless steel", and, to the uninitiated (i.e. me), they could all be the same blade, with different blade overprint and packaging. The Gentleman is indeed sharp, much in the way that a piece of broken glass is sharp, and evidently aimed at a rugged user base.

Zircon Global list the Willys blade, along with some others, but I tend to think that they may be rather similar to the Posh offerings, in performance terms.

Back
Top Bottom