The FrankenIkon Runs Amok

The other day, I got my shiny Ikon bulldog handle from Thailand. I managed to get it from Greg BIN on the bay.

I paired it with a fifties re plated Tech head from safetyrazors.co.uk and eagerly loaded in a shark blade.

Oh dear...

By the end of the three pass shave my chops weren't in a good way. Weepers, nicks and even a scratch (yes a scratch).
I desperately applied some Proraso balm and cursed the monstrosity I'd created. I couldn't believe that a razor with the pedigree this Frankenstein razor had could do so much damage...

After a good old rant, the other half said "But I thought it was all down to technique. That's what you told me".
She was of course right.
I'm still very much a newbie and instead of following the advice repeated over and over about technique and changing one thing at a time, I'd gotten caught up in razor acquisition and soap collection and all those other lovely things about our hobby. Instead of concentrating on technique, I was seeing how my new razor felt and as a result I had a face that people winced at when they saw me (more than normal).
The cliche goes "A bad work man blames his tools". Yes I did. What I have learned is that for now, it's best to get my technique improved and to leave my shark blades in my far more forgiving Slim Adjustable for the time being.In the meantime, I'll be going back over some of the tutorials that some of the esteemed members of this forum have posted for newbies like me. Thanks to Antdad's soap tutorial, I get some great results with lather now. So big thanks from an impatient learner to him and all of the gentlemen that take the time and trouble to create these tutorials. As for the rematch with the FrankenIkon, that can wait.

I've got time...I'm in it for the long haul.

Ouch! Sounds nasty.

Yes, from my own experience, you do need to take a little more care with the New head - it's quite aggressive (especially so with a heavy handle, I would think). I think it's fair to say that you'll need a light touch, and no pressure (certainly compared to the Slim which is pretty mild - at leaast on settings 1 - 5, though even it can bite on settings above that).

Bear in mind that the Ikon/New combination weighs a lot more than the Slim, and it's likely more aggressive anyway - so you'll have to step back your pressure and adjust your technique accordingly.

What gets me is just how effective the Slim can be - even when it feels like it's not doing anything!

I had a shave with my Gillette New (also replated by Dave at SafetyRazors.co.uk) this morning - and reminded myself that it is quite an aggressive little thing - you really do have to be be a lot less cavalier than with the Slim Adjustable - there's always the sensation that there really is a very sharp blade in this thing. You certainly can't get away with applying any appreciable pressure to it, and for me, going against the grain (with any razor - but especially with the New) is a portal into a little world of hurt! And as I said before - the heavy iKon handle also will also up the ante a little bit...

It's a good idea to get your beard well mapped out with a more forgiving razor (like your Slim) before trying the New again. Mind you, once you've got the hang of it, it does give a really close shave without the need for lots of passes. And it makes a great sound too!

MandoBear said:
I had a shave with my Gillette New (also replated by Dave at SafetyRazors.co.uk) this morning - and reminded myself that it is quite an aggressive little thing - you really do have to be be a lot less cavalier than with the Slim Adjustable - there's always the sensation that there really is a very sharp blade in this thing. You certainly can't get away with applying any appreciable pressure to it, and for me, going against the grain (with any razor - but especially with the New) is a portal into a little world of hurt! And as I said before - the heavy iKon handle also will also up the ante a little bit...

It's a good idea to get your beard well mapped out with a more forgiving razor (like your Slim) before trying the New again. Mind you, once you've got the hang of it, it does give a really close shave without the need for lots of passes. And it makes a great sound too!

Not wrong there...My birth year razor is a black handled SS and that cuts close with no weight to it.
Adding an Ikon handle into the mix was really asking for trouble.

One large dose of common sense, a much more forgiving razor and some intensive face mapping later...I no longer have my cheekbone exposed.

I tried mine with some Valobra shaving soap today - made a huge difference. The Valobra really does feel protective and helps the blade glide smoothly - totally changed the feel of the way this razor shaves. So much better!

Tardisbasher said:
The other day, I got my shiny Ikon bulldog handle from Thailand. I managed to get it from Greg BIN on the bay.

I paired it with a fifties re plated Tech head from safetyrazors.co.uk and eagerly loaded in a shark blade.

Oh dear...

By the end of the three pass shave my chops weren't in a good way. Weepers, nicks and even a scratch (yes a scratch).
I desperately applied some Proraso balm and cursed the monstrosity I'd created. I couldn't believe that a razor with the pedigree this Frankenstein razor had could do so much damage...

After a good old rant, the other half said "But I thought it was all down to technique. That's what you told me".
She was of course right.
I'm still very much a newbie and instead of following the advice repeated over and over about technique and changing one thing at a time, I'd gotten caught up in razor acquisition and soap collection and all those other lovely things about our hobby. Instead of concentrating on technique, I was seeing how my new razor felt and as a result I had a face that people winced at when they saw me (more than normal).
The cliche goes "A bad work man blames his tools". Yes I did. What I have learned is that for now, it's best to get my technique improved and to leave my shark blades in my far more forgiving Slim Adjustable for the time being.In the meantime, I'll be going back over some of the tutorials that some of the esteemed members of this forum have posted for newbies like me. Thanks to Antdad's soap tutorial, I get some great results with lather now. So big thanks from an impatient learner to him and all of the gentlemen that take the time and trouble to create these tutorials. As for the rematch with the FrankenIkon, that can wait.

I've got time...I'm in it for the long haul.

You can do it. The tech with an ikon head is a great combination. Try it with a yellow. And stop, just before the metal hits your skin. Relax, take a deep breath. Enjoy. And take all the tension out of your wrist. Let the ikon handle do the work.

You'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom