The Fido LE 2010!

Hope he likes it.... :?

4253380229_6175b56581.jpg

4254146972_3183ca9578.jpg

4253381945_c22c75b2bb_b.jpg

The final stage is gluing the knot - it will be a little shorter in loft than the pictures.

Chris

We need a Fido File section!

Just out of interest could you use bone for a handle? Is it suitable and/or easy to work and/or easy to source?

I know pianos have gone over to it from ivory . . . ?

Apparently bone can be turned, but Henk pointed out a while back that it smells rather bad and isn't an ideal turning material.

I'm very happy with the quality of the poly blanks, so will investigate these a little more beofre branching out into unforeseen and potentially expensive territory!

Rev-O said:
We need a Fido File section!

Just out of interest could you use bone for a handle? Is it suitable and/or easy to work and/or easy to source?

I know pianos have gone over to it from ivory . . . ?

Yes you can Rev, the ones I have seen have been made from laminated bone (3 or 4 mm section) rather than say half a femur. Looked nice.

Like here. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.de/Knochen-Rasierpinsel-Karl-Silberspitz-Dachshaar-WOW_W0QQitemZ290386683758QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDE_Beauty_Rasur_Rasur?hash=item439c65276e#ht_3247wt_1166" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://cgi.ebay.de/Knochen-Rasierpinsel ... 247wt_1166</a><!-- m -->

Ah I see, they must split and then soften the bone probably by heat and pressure to make the flat sections ready for laminating.

Looks good Neo.

There are some things in my life even more important than shaving.

Phew! I've just been watching England hang on for a draw in the third Test against South Africa (cricket for anyone unaware of these things)

I have now PM'd Chris and expressed my delight.

I just love the look of an ivory colour in a shaving brush handle. So unfussy and clean looking.

That will bring my collection to nine. I now have a wide variety of brushes to choose from each day. The only thing I've resisted so far is top end £120 + stuff. Very unusual for me. But as yet I'm so pleased with the performance of those I have it seems a sheer waste to contemplate a big money brush.

I like the "Fido LE 2010" title - now how can I get that inscribed on the handle? Perhaps just No 1 under the base would be quite subtle. Then they can speculate on the Antiques Road Show in years to come.

I'll have to ask you not to refer to this as a 'chubby' - due to copyright laws I feel I must add: any likeness to other shaving brushes alive or dead is purely coincidental... :lol: anyway, it looks nothing like the ch1... :?

Dimensions:

Height: 104mm
Width: 43mm
Loft: 55mm
Weight: 90g
Knot: 24mm Finest Two-band

Fido said:
I like the "Fido LE 2010" title - now how can I get that inscribed on the handle? Perhaps just No 1 under the base would be quite subtle. Then they can speculate on the Antiques Road Show in years to come.

I'm reluctant to try, given my lack of experience, but the material is very easy to work, perhaps someone with engraving skills could do a good job?

neocaligatio said:
I'll have to ask you not to refer to this as a 'chubby' - due to copyright laws I feel I must add: any likeness to other shaving brushes alive or dead is purely coincidental... :lol: anyway, it looks nothing like the ch1... :?

Dimensions:

Height: 104mm
Width: 43mm
Loft: 55mm
Weight: 90g
Knot: 24mm Finest Two-band
Yes youre right,doesnt looks like a Chubby,more like a DUKE or CLASSIC! :lol: :lol:
Excellent brush my friend,its simply GORGEOUS!Fido is a lucky guy!I really like the dimensions of that brush but specially the weight!

neocaligatio said:
Fido said:

I'm reluctant to try, given my lack of experience, but the material is very easy to work, perhaps someone with engraving skills could do a good job?

I suspect that once I see it I will want to leave it exactly as you made it.

Back
Top Bottom