The Beatles, get back....

Has anyone else been watching this? Any opinions?
Started watching it last night and for the first thirty or forty minutes found it fascinating, then it started to bore the tit ends off me :D
Don't get me wrong, I love the Beatles and have most of their albums on CD but found this documentary such a test of endurance that I switched off after watching an hour and a half of half arsed rehearsals, cigars and drinks. I'd like to watch the rest of it out of curiosity but don't think I can put up with more of the same.

The trouble with anything to do with the Beatles is it's s been done to death. Rehash after rehash. They were ground breaking in their day of course but the way they're eulogised anyone would think nothing musically significant has happened since. I can probably only stomach their obscure album stuff now. All that Eleanor Rigby etc I've heard waaay too often, it's as annoying as Rick Astley.

Has anyone else been watching this? Any opinions?
Started watching it last night and for the first thirty or forty minutes found it fascinating, then it started to bore the tit ends off me :D
Don't get me wrong, I love the Beatles and have most of their albums on CD but found this documentary such a test of endurance that I switched off after watching an hour and a half of half arsed rehearsals, cigars and drinks. I'd like to watch the rest of it out of curiosity but don't think I can put up with more of the same.
Is this a council telly prog, or amazon/Netflix. ?

Peter Jackson can't make anything without it being an epic 3-parter. I think it's probably quicker to read the Hobbit than to watch all three movies!

That said, I think there will be people who say he cut too much out of this Beatles documentary, and people who think he made it too long.

I was exactly where you are @isaiah53 and forced myself to make it to the end of episode 1, feeling it was far too long, and quite disappointed. The key moments were watching Paul actually write a well known Beatles song, there, captured on film, which was amazing, and seeing how wet they all were, with only Paul really showing any initiative and perhaps dominating the others a little. I thought I would probably drop it after episode 1.

Nevertheless, with a break of a day, I returned and watched most of episode 2 last night. I enjoyed it more. I now think I will ignore Peter Jackson's "episodes" and will just watch in 1 hour chunks. It's slow going, but it's also sort of fascinating. Luckily, I am one who will never tire of hearing Don't Let Me Down.

Peter Jackson can't make anything without it being an epic 3-parter. I think it's probably quicker to read the Hobbit than to watch all three movies!

That said, I think there will be people who say he cut too much out of this Beatles documentary, and people who think he made it too long.

I was exactly where you are @isaiah53 and forced myself to make it to the end of episode 1, feeling it was far too long, and quite disappointed. The key moments were watching Paul actually write a well known Beatles song, there, captured on film, which was amazing, and seeing how wet they all were, with only Paul really showing any initiative and perhaps dominating the others a little. I thought I would probably drop it after episode 1.

Nevertheless, with a break of a day, I returned and watched most of episode 2 last night. I enjoyed it more. I now think I will ignore Peter Jackson's "episodes" and will just watch in 1 hour chunks. It's slow going, but it's also sort of fascinating. Luckily, I am one who will never tire of hearing Don't Let Me Down.
I got back onto it last night, and did exactly as you did watching an hour before turning it off. I'm still finding it hard work, but there's still stuff to keep my interest, I love a bit of Yoko Ono and she makes me laugh when she gets involved :D

Got to the end of the three episodes, and I've got to say it totally bowled me over. I found the first episode hard work, but from then on I was totally engrossed.
The turning point for me was when billy Preston turned up, the mood seemed to lighten and everyone got into the groove.
A very enjoyable watch, and rounded off with the roof top performance which was utterly fantastic despite the efforts of the bell end policemen trying to stop it.
Highly recommended, a joy to see the humanity of the Beatles as people, they came across as very decent and funny people. Glad I stuck with it :)

Got to the end of the three episodes, and I've got to say it totally bowled me over. I found the first episode hard work, but from then on I was totally engrossed.
The turning point for me was when billy Preston turned up, the mood seemed to lighten and everyone got into the groove.
A very enjoyable watch, and rounded off with the roof top performance which was utterly fantastic despite the efforts of the bell end policemen trying to stop it.
Highly recommended, a joy to see the humanity of the Beatles as people, they came across as very decent and funny people. Glad I stuck with it :)
Going through a massive Beatles & Paul McCartney phase again at the moment. Late to the party with Get Back. Now watched the first 2 episodes. Not enough of a geek to pay complete attention throughout. But, as others say - witnessing the Fab Four just hanging out as 4 friends and chatting at times - is wonderful. I'm obsessed with some of the side characters, especially Mal Evans who's diaries are getting released in a few months time.

Back
Top Bottom