The Alum Test: does anyone ever pass?

As everyone will probably know, an alum block is a great learning tool which gives instant, stinging criticism of your technique.

Here's a question for more experienced scrapers: can you normally do a full BBS shave without any stinging?

I'm still at the grasshopper stage of my shave-fu, just trying to do a CCS, and I always get a few stings with alum. After a few hours my face feels pretty much normal. No lasting raw or damaged sensation. Is that about standard for a DE shave?

I don't get cuts or weepers, but I still get a sensation from an alum block especially if my face has been derma planed by an Feather AC straight razor. It's like aftershave you will always get a sensation.

I'm by no means an advanced shaver but I've been doing it for nine months or so. When I'm at home I use an alum block every shave and still get a few "stings" on my neck, which is a particularly troublesome area for me, almost every shave. That happens even if there are no noticeable nicks or weepers.

If I do manage to cut myself then there's nothing like an alum block to help my skin recover (it really does work!) but my goodness it really does sting!!

I find my neck quite difficult, so I usually have what I would call a "middling" level of alum sting all over my neck. If I have a really good shave, it's only a very light tingle.

I have owned an Alum block for a few years and do use it occasionally, but generally find that ice cold water is just as effective at stopping / closing up any nicks or weepers.

To answer the OP... No, i dont pass - Alum always stings a little

Wouldn't have a clue as to what an alum block is used for or what one is. Guess I learnt the hard way. Bleed and get fed up with bleeding.

I have always wet shaved since the mid 70's and everything else since then was a case of 'upping the ante' and adapting to changes in razor.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Useful info.

To date I think I've had the grand total of five shaves with my new razor some of them far too timid and some far too confident (ouch!). It helps to get an idea what I'm aiming for.

A block of Kent Luxury arrived the other day. No doubt the slick, fatty goodness will help vs the Boots shaving stick I'd been using before. Even if you don't get a perfect lather it still seems to lubricate well.

Back
Top Bottom