That Dreaded subject...SOAP!

Right then guys, your suggestions on this subject are most welcome!.....
Having spent a considerable amount on x2 Straight Razors I would like to now buy a nice luxurious quality shaving soap!?!....
I have been using TOBS mainly brought for when I was DE Shaving, but have TABAC, ARko and PROROSA at present. These all leave my face feeling VERY DRY after shaving!?!....So I am happy to spend money, not stupid money mind but if that's the case so be it. I would like a soap that doesn't feel it leaves the skin feeling like a dried out river bed in the desert!!! But has a nice scent, not flowery more musky, woody the manly sort and if there is a splash to match so much the better!?!..... Oh and when you give your suggestion, which to me will all be fantastic, can you you also include where I can obtain them please!?! As otherwise no point in suggesting something and then I can't obtain the HOLY GRAIL!?!
Looking forward to your replies, sadly the winner only gets a LIKE (Thumbs Up) to their response, as do ALL the others!
Cheers for your participation.
Andy

Any of the following are good. You'll find a scent among these that appeals to you.

Signature Soaps

Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements (PAA)

Zingari Man

Phoneix and Beau (P&B)

Saponificio Varesino (SV)

This Wickham Gothic Revival set in the BST is a bargain at £20. Lovely scent - similarity to Trumper's Eucris:

When I was learning to use a straight Tabac was my lucky soap. Easy to lather & very slick.

Tabac - and Arko - shouldn't feel drying. Try mixing in more water. A LOT more water. They're both quite thirsty soaps.

For a straight razor shave you want maximum slickness ie quite a wet, shiny lather. As wet as you can make it without actually sliding off your face.

Cheers guys, I will look into these suggestions and see what appeals?

@mcgruff that's pretty much what I have heard, still experimenting and using plenty of water. Think it's about 95% there but as I say after shaving and a cold rinse with dabbing towel dry my face quickly feels dry so much so I instantly reach for the moisturiser!?!....Yes I know, I haven't got round to getting a BALM yet!?! Mainly coz MarkP made spend all my money on another razor!!!

not trying to go of subject but are you sure your using plenty of water with your soaps ?

i mean i know we’re all completely different for sure but i have all the soaps you mention and iv never felt them that dry
Water is the key

@culcreuch......
Cheers guys, I will look into these suggestions and see what appeals?

@mcgruff that's pretty much what I have heard, still experimenting and using plenty of water. Think it's about 95% there but as I say after shaving and a cold rinse with dabbing towel dry my face quickly feels dry so much so I instantly reach for the moisturiser!?!...
I DO!?! Just thought some soaps might not dry my face out SO much!?! But hey I'm old so maybe not much fluid/moisture left in the old skin, GOD knows I put enough in it Jamesons mainly ;)

I've used Arko, Tabac and TOBS. As others have said some soaps are thirstier than others.
Do you face lather or use a bowl? A bowl is easier to add water to to get the right consistency whereas adjusting the amount of water while face lathering can lead to irritation depending on the brush if you're at it for several minutes. (Make sure it is dryness and not irritation)

A couple of suggestions (Try creams rather than soaps, see if it makes a difference also tallow Vs non-tallow based)
Speick - Nice woody/spicy scent
Cella Organic Aloe - The aloe vera might help with the drying part

I struggle with dry skin and have tried a few over the years, both creams and soaps, but keep returning to Haslinger Aloe Vera as my favourite. I shave exclusively with straight razors. My prewash is a Dove moisturising bar which also seems to help. And after shave balms rather than aftershave.

Regards

Mark

Mitchell's Wool Fat is great for a moisturized post-shave face feel. The lanolin in it will prevent that dry feeling compared to most soaps and creams.

Back
Top Bottom