Th latest Ubuntu

Rather nice it is.

Upgraded last night (yeah I know slow off the mark) and while I liked 8.04 (my previous distro) 10.04 seems much better.

Anyhow as a test I connected into the office windows network and thought I'd add a network printer as I've just read that Linux drivers are now available for it.

Now under windows its a bit of a task you need the ip address, subnet mask and have to manually tell the drivers what extras are fitted basically its a 10 minute job to get it all configures properly, much longer the 1st time you do it.

However Ubuntu was rather more seamless kind of like this.

I went to add a network printer
It said, what that one?
I said yes.
It said OK hang on a moment while I just grab the drivers for you, right done that for you buddy I see you went for the duplex unit wise choice shall we print a test page?

I had a go with Linux Mint recently, basically Ubuntu with a different front end and some restricted codecs etc. already installed. Very impressed, I like Ubuntu but Mint was just that little bit better. Give it a try sometime.

I upgraded a few months back.

Agreed it is rather nice. Things just work that little bit more smoothly this time around.

One thing I do like about linux. Every so often you log in and it tells you a shiny new version is available, just click here. With my mac it tells me a shiny new version is available, just go get your credit card.

Hawkeye said:
And the next shiny new version is out in 14 days time. Ubuntu 10.10 released on 10.10
I'm writing this in 10.10 and very happy with it! It's great when stuff works out of the box, and you don't need to worry about anti-virus and the gradual slowdown of your machine (which seems inevitable in Windows).
Free is a good price but you do get more than your money's worth!

Also, I had Mint 7 XFCE on my old laptop and it ran like a dream - this has 768MB RAM and a 1.2GHz processor. It convinced me full-blown GNOME might run nearly as well, and it does.

sudo apt-get double-edge-blades?

Back
Top Bottom