Testers wanted

Hi there. Good question! For me, it's mainly based around efficiency. Cream needs less equipment, which means I have more space and can be more flexible/effective. It also allows me to give stronger scents as fragrance needs to be added to soap when the soap is hot and it burns off. With a cream, I can stir it in cold. It's better for forming free samples too!

Also, there aren't many tallow based creams about so I'm just trying to do what nobody else has really done!
Hi James, thanks for the reply. I suspected that it would be the simplification and a more pragmatic route concentrating on the one product. I was completely unaware of the flexibility with scents. I suspect that there will be some very interesting and innovative OSP creams in the near future.

I thought the OSP Tallow Cream stacked up very well against my other top end soaps and I thought it was slick enough, was easy enough to lather and left me with a good post shave skin feeling but if you think you can improve it in one or more areas and not take away from another area then I would like to try a slicker cream that provided me with a better post shave feel and a single scent or unscented.

To be honest though I think the only thing that would need improvement for me is the scent, a single note scent and an unscented one.
No obscure or pretentious names, just OSP Tallow Cream, Rose, Sandlewood, Lavender, unscented etc.

Paul.

Changed loading tack. This time I smeared enough sample into an empty plastic OSP tub. Actually it was where my Neroli used to belong before I finished it. I loaded the damp Yaqi brush, just like I would on the surface of my hard soaps. I then face lathered as I would do normally. Now this technique actually worked really well, and was pretty chuffed with the shave result.

Third use today - Trafalgar synth - loaded in the cat bowl then face lathered - resumed usual splash/balm post treatment.

Ease of loading - no issues for me - comparable to PAA (pre-CK 6 base) or MT paste.

Lathering - very good, extremely tolerant - I decided to try and break it today by gradually adding more and more water to
the knot. I had to stop - it came to the point where there was so much lather spewing out the brush - and onto the handle -
that it was becoming almost impossible to hold safely. I think the wide window for getting the moisture right will be of particular
benefit to less experienced shavers - none of your MWF bollocks - stand on one leg whistling the Star Spangled Banner on the
third Wednesday after Pentecost. This cream is in no way fussy. That being said - I'm using water that is very soft - might be
different in London?

Lather stability - exemplary, not the merest hint of it starting to break down on the face or begin to dry out. Also, when I rinse the razor
the lather sits on top of the water in the bowl and takes a long time to break down. This is a sign of quality in my experience.

Slickness - others have mentioned this, but it is just fine for me. I can do my touch-ups without needing to apply more lather, which
is what I care about most. Sure - if it could be slicker - who's going to complain if it is? - but I understand soap formulations are a
complex balance of attributes. Funnily enough, the very slickest tube cream I use is Williams Mint Ice Menthol - which is the very opposite
of expensive.

Post feel - in MWF, hard Kent or Salter territory - that's a compliment. My skin likes it very much, I'd be interested to know if castor
oil features anywhere in the formula.

Hope this helps @James Riley - yours - I.

A final thought about potential scents - I'd like a mint/spearmint sort of thing - nice and fresh without the need for a bucket of
menthol - also - no soap range is complete without something lavender. What about a Homme de Caron inspired scent? A nice
dark spicy herbal English lavender, rosemary?, dropping down to a vanilla/benzoin base? Just a thought.

Third use today - Trafalgar synth - loaded in the cat bowl then face lathered - resumed usual splash/balm post treatment.

Ease of loading - no issues for me - comparable to PAA (pre-CK 6 base) or MT paste.

Lathering - very good, extremely tolerant - I decided to try and break it today by gradually adding more and more water to
the knot. I had to stop - it came to the point where there was so much lather spewing out the brush - and onto the handle -
that it was becoming almost impossible to hold safely. I think the wide window for getting the moisture right will be of particular
benefit to less experienced shavers - none of your MWF bollocks - stand on one leg whistling the Star Spangled Banner on the
third Wednesday after Pentecost. This cream is in no way fussy. That being said - I'm using water that is very soft - might be
different in London?

Lather stability - exemplary, not the merest hint of it starting to break down on the face or begin to dry out. Also, when I rinse the razor
the lather sits on top of the water in the bowl and takes a long time to break down. This is a sign of quality in my experience.

Slickness - others have mentioned this, but it is just fine for me. I can do my touch-ups without needing to apply more lather, which
is what I care about most. Sure - if it could be slicker - who's going to complain if it is? - but I understand soap formulations are a
complex balance of attributes. Funnily enough, the very slickest tube cream I use is Williams Mint Ice Menthol - which is the very opposite
of expensive.

Post feel - in MWF, hard Kent or Salter territory - that's a compliment. My skin likes it very much, I'd be interested to know if castor
oil features anywhere in the formula.

Hope this helps @James Riley - yours - I.

A final thought about potential scents - I'd like a mint/spearmint sort of thing - nice and fresh without the need for a bucket of
menthol - also - no soap range is complete without something lavender. What about a Homme de Caron inspired scent? A nice
dark spicy herbal English lavender, rosemary?, dropping down to a vanilla/benzoin base? Just a thought.
Funny you say that. My next and maybe final soap release is going to herby rosemary number!

There isn't any castor oil in it. Why do you ask?

Funny you say that. My next and maybe final soap release is going to herby rosemary number!

There isn't any castor oil in it. Why do you ask?
There are certain ingredients in soaps that are guaranteed to get on well with my skin - a tallow base, lanolin, goat or sheep's milk - for instance. Castor oil is another - it turns up in quite a few artisan soaps and some aftershaves - 4711 and some RazoRock splashes. Your sample gives an above average post for me - so I was wondering if it was used - cheers - I.

Oh - the next release sounds good - the very first soap I bought from you was the UKWSS edition - aka the herb garden - it works really well with the matching splash or Myrsol Agua Balsamica.

Last edited:
There are certain ingredients in soaps that are guaranteed to get on well with my skin - a tallow base, lanolin, goat or sheep's milk - for instance. Castor oil is another - it turns up in quite a few artisan soaps and some aftershaves - 4711 and some RazoRock splashes. Your sample gives an above average post for me - so I was wondering if it was used - cheers - I.

Oh - the next release sounds good - the very first soap I bought from you was the UKWSS edition - aka the herb garden - it works really well with the matching splash or Myrsol Agua Balsamica.
Funny, that I'd exactly what I was aiming for when I made the fragrance!

I saw some comparisons to the OSP hard soap, so I used my OSP Sandalwood today, used the cream tester yesterday.

There was the comparison the hard soap is slicker, but I found my lather today to be about the same or if anything a touch less than the lather the cream produces.

Again, I'm not sure if this is a YMMV issue but I think I find I get a bit more body to the lather of the hard soap.

A very neutral post shave for both I'd say, both are around the same in building a lather with ie really easy. Something I like with both, is they wash off the skin very easily at the end of the shave.

I'd not used the OSP Sandalwood in a very long time, I forgot how majestic a lather it produces though.

Back
Top Bottom