Testers wanted

Hope my comments were received as intended I wasn’t trying to open a can of worms quite the opposite I was just drawing attention to the fact it seems quite normal and nothing unusual as others have the same, I’m assuming it’s just part of the soap making process. Will certainly be buying some of this cream once it’s made available

Hope my comments were received as intended I wasn’t trying to open a can of worms quite the opposite I was just drawing attention to the fact it seems quite normal and nothing unusual as others have the same, I’m assuming it’s just part of the soap making process. Will certainly be buying some of this cream once it’s made available
Yes indeed, I shall too be in the queue for some of this lovely tallow cream! :)

Paul.

I'm sure your comments were received only as intended and not taken out of context Jay, please don't worry about it. We know that you are a good sort! :)

Paul.

Of course not. I just need to make sure I'm covered. If someone thinks I'm saying something negative about their products then it doesn't end well for anyone.

Second use - kit as per my sotd post yesterday - I tried to upload this last night but the site went down - 'origin error.'

Like others - until it was pointed out to me - I hadn't noticed the granular clumps in the soap - mostly due to the fact - I wasn't wearing my glasses - so, unless there was an elephant in the tin I wasn't going to see it. They are there in my sample - but fair enough - I make bar soap and recognise this as a possible side effect of a short curing process. Makes no difference in my experience - I've seen LPL soap do this too.

Scent - I think @Electrif and I are in the minority - I really like it. I can't define what it is composed of - when I first open the tin - there is something almost Tabac about it? The vanilla definitely comes through when it gets wet though. I would nominate two scents to be carried forward to the new range - Bayrum - head and shoulders above any other take on the theme - in my opinion. Also Orange and Patchouli - I have the soap, splash and it dovetails beautifully with Hermes d'orange verte. Proper earthy patchouli - not a horrible incense smell.

I used the Torga brush last night - for a boar knot it is extremely dense - and will rip into the hardest of triple-milled soaps with alacrity - so - I did time the loading in the cat food bowl. (I've become quite attached to this bowl - not as much as the cat is - not happy - but have you ever tried to explain the importance of soap testing to a feline? Don't bother - they don't get it. Cats don't shave.) Ten seconds did the job - this puts it on a par with using PAA bases for me. Fitjar also springs to mind.

The ease of lathering and hitting the sweet spot is exceptional for me. A gloss and sheen that would take much more work with many soaps. Very forgiving - it just happens.

Somebody mentioned above - the shelf life of soaps or creams? In my experience this is notional - the producers have to provide one to tick all the boxes to satisfy the regulations - as long as they are stored properly - they last for a long time. The only soap I have used that went properly off was Cella.

Again - I used no post other than witch hazel. My skin hasn't noticed the difference - so far.

So @James Riley - another fairly unhelpful review from your point of view - I - like others - am struggling to come up with negatives. I'll try a different sort of brush for the next shave - but I think I am wasting my time - it is just going to work regardless?

Yours all - I.

Last edited:
Back to bowl lathering for the third shave. Probably the best medium for this cream. Again another explosion of lather, which served perfectly for my shave today.
Now I'm in a conundrum.
The end plan is for this cream to totally phase out my soap so it really needs to be spot on.
I much prefer either directly loading hard/soft soaps from the container and face lathering or shave stick to face and face lathering. I always use synthetic brushes and I rarely use a bowl for 'hard' soaps.
Then again, this is a super cream with excellent properties, and the ingredients suit me fine. So there could be a revelation.

Hi gents.

Am finally at the point where I think I am ready to test my new tallow based shaving cream. I have been working on this for years and finally think i have something ready to test.

I'd like 10 testers with a decent experience. I'll be going off how long you have been on the site and experience. If you have tested for me before, even better!

The end plan is for this cream to totally phase out my soap so it really needs to be spot on.

I'll be sending you small 30ml samples. Could I please have reviews on this page - please do not be afraid of constructive feedback!.

Thanks

James
James, just out of curiosity, why are phasing out your soaps and focusing solely on creams. I have a few OSP soaps and rate them highly.

I always like scents like Lavender, Sandlewood or almond, a single scent that you don't have to call by an obscure name or try to guess what it is you are smelling.
Good simple scents and an unscented one for those who prefer it and pick a soap or cream for its performance rather than the scent or what it's called

Take MdC for instance...MdC Rose....perfect, rose is what you get and without an ambiguous name. Just the job!

Paul.
Mmmmmmm, Sandalwood and/or Rose would be fantastic. I’d certainly be in the queue for these.

James, just out of curiosity, why are phasing out your soaps and focusing solely on creams. I have a few OSP soaps and rate them highly.
Hi there. Good question! For me, it's mainly based around efficiency. Cream needs less equipment, which means I have more space and can be more flexible/effective. It also allows me to give stronger scents as fragrance needs to be added to soap when the soap is hot and it burns off. With a cream, I can stir it in cold. It's better for forming free samples too!

Also, there aren't many tallow based creams about so I'm just trying to do what nobody else has really done!

Ok gents. So if I can get you to compare the performance of the base to real top end soaps, how does it compare? Do you think it could be slicker? Easier to lather? Etc? Once I get some ideas I can send out a second batch to test.

Points noted on the fragrances. I've never released a rose cream and would love to!

Back
Top Bottom