Testers wanted

Tony'schin

Staff Member
Supporter
16/02/21
Face lather Test
I transferred the Cream to a slightly larger (Well cleaned) container as i wanted to load the brush straight from the tin, my preferred loading technique, this cream really is stiff enough to call it a croap, it is very putty like and transferred easily.
From very little loading, swirling for about 5 - 8 seconds the damp brush had picked up what i thought was enough for the shave.
A quick cold water splash to add some water to the face and off i went.
The lather built very quickly and feels great on the skin, the lather i had was very thick, therefore, i dropped a couple of droplets onto the brush and carried on building the lather, in no time i had a very nice thick creamy covering.
The razor just whipped around the face without issue.
After a rinse off to check what was needed i reloaded on the damp face and the second lather produced was just as good as the first pass.
The post shave after rinse off leaves my skin feeling very nice, there is no drying out and there is a nice suppleness there.
The scent - for me it needs something more, i like the idea of a single scent, ie Rose or jasmine, maybe even seasonal scents?
I agree with Paul @Blademonkey and also think this is a winner, well done James
T

For my second shave I smeared some of the cream onto my face and face lathered.
Using my GEM Push Button coupled with a Treet carbon blade, the result was a great success.

However I've noticed white particles in the cream. Can't remember seeing them when I received it. They are a harder consistency than the stiff cream. They did break down while lathering, as the lather was very creamy.
IMG_20210216_142713314_HDR-01.jpg
Has anyone else seen this?

Using my GEM Push Button coupled with a Treet carbon blade, the result was a great success.

However I've noticed white particles in the cream. Can't remember seeing them when I received it. They are a harder consistency than the stiff cream. They did break down while lathering, as the lather was very creamy.
View attachment 64918

Mine has a few of those, but I didn't notice until you pointed it out.

I used the sample for a shave today and I'm rating it's lather more with each use. Gloriously slick, I don't think I've felt the slightest bit of blade resistance or razor burn from any shave I've had using it. It's an incredibly slick glossy lather but doesn't stick the skin during the shave or when washing it off.

I'm not massively enthusiastic about the scent though!

View attachment 64918
I'm not in on the test but it could be stearic acid clumping - although it's more usually a problem with soaps. Decades ago I was forced to listen to the Jimmy Young show on Radio 2. The everyday question - 'what's the recipe today Jim'
i.e. here, does the cream have stearic acid and where does it lie in the ingredient list

Last edited:
I have had this happen with a couple of vintage shaving soap's not so much a problem as an occurrence, it breaks down under lathering and is absorbed into the lather, nothing to worry about if indeed it is the same thing.

:)

Paul.
I've never seen it with vintage soaps but certainly have with modern soaps, where it doesn't break down under lathering and I just have to tolerate it. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow without identifying makers.
Anyways, back to creams - which in my naivety I thought you dipped into or squeezed from a tube. Where's here?

I've never seen it with vintage soaps but certainly have with modern soaps, where it doesn't break down under lathering and I just have to tolerate it. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow without identifying makers.
Anyways, back to creams - which in my naivety I thought you dipped into or squeezed from a tube. Where's here?
The OSP cream under the temperature that I'm operating at at this time of year ( not cold but not over warm either) is more of a putty like consistency which I scoop out with the tip of spoon and then bowl lather and any granulation? has disappeared after bowl lathering.
It is not so pronounced as it is in one of my current vintage soaps ( one that is no longer in production) but the granulation with this particular soap disappears when lathered. I always scoop onto my bowl and lather and do not lather in my tubs.

Paul.

The OSP cream under the temperature that I'm operating at at this time of year ( not cold but not over warm either) is more of a putty like consistency which I scoop out with the tip of spoon and then bowl lather and any granulation? has disappeared after bowl lathering.
It is not so pronounced as it is in one of my current vintage soaps ( one that is no longer in production) but the granulation with this particular soap disappears when lathered. I always scoop onto my bowl and lather and do not lather in my tubs.

Paul.
Just to add opinion while on the topic I recently purchased barrister and Mann reserve cool lots of steric acid granules in it first i scooped from tub and face lathered and found a very bitty shave some of it just wouldn’t break down so went to load from tub on next shave face lathered again and not a problem think a bowl lather would have helped when scooping out of the tub, to be fair though barrister and Mann do advise loading the brush straight from the tub with their soaps

Just to add opinion while on the topic I recently purchased barrister and Mann reserve cool lots of steric acid granules in it first i scooped from tub and face lathered and found a very bitty shave some of it just wouldn’t break down so went to load from tub on next shave face lathered again and not a problem think a bowl lather would have helped when scooping out of the tub, to be fair though barrister and Mann do advise loading the brush straight from the tub with their soaps
Interesting! I generally don't face lather so have never come across any problems.
I'm not a chemist so I can not offer any explanation to why bowl lathering should combat this apparent problem.
If indeed this is the issue with the OSP Cream.

Paul.

Top Bottom