Team Ever Ready

jds

Thought some of you SE lovers out there would like to see a pic or two of my little Ever Ready collection. It contains all of the usual suspects (apart from a Streamline, which I am working on) - 2 x 1912, 1914, 1924 but also what I believe to be an earlier model (on the far left of the pics).. if anyone has any information on it I'd be most grateful.

Anyway here are the pictures...

P1030509_zps1e9a51b1.jpg

P1030512_zps2bef17ce.jpg

P1030513_zpsa7a298ff.jpg

P1030514_zps4e113118.jpg

P1030519_zps8ff7c71e.jpg

All the SE fans.....

Jon

If I'm honest I have only shaved so far with 1912. I've also shaved with 1912 Gem and Gem Micromatic Open Comb. Most of the ER's are very recent arrivals and I am a little short on blades currently. Deliveries have been a trifle difficult to get through domestic customs and excise without interrogation recently.

In general I think they are more aggressive, and the Gem blade certainly less forgiving. Great sound though. The Gems are more aggressive than the Ever Ready's or at least the ones I have used are. I have though, loaded the 1914 Lather Catcher for tomorrow morning, before I head off to christening 100 miles away. Will report back tomorrow if time allows

Jon

jds said:
If I'm honest I have only shaved so far with 1912. I've also shaved with 1912 Gem and Gem Micromatic Open Comb. Most of the ER's are very recent arrivals and I am a little short on blades currently. Deliveries have been a trifle difficult to get through domestic customs and excise without interrogation recently.

In general I think they are more aggressive, and the Gem blade certainly less forgiving. Great sound though. The Gems are more aggressive than the Ever Ready's or at least the ones I have used are. I have though, loaded the 1914 Lather Catcher for tomorrow morning, before I head off to christening 100 miles away. Will report back tomorrow if time allows

Jon

Look forwards to hearing! I've got a 1912 (not yet used), a streamline (used once) and a Gem Clog Pruf (used plenty). The SE's are great shavers, but I find the Gem coated blades a bit rough at first. Not sure if it's my technique (probably) or genuinely a bit of an issue with the blades, but things improve immeasurably for me a couple of shaves in.

I've used my 1912 about 12 times I'd estimate. I used it to remove my beard (when I finally worked up the courage!) and it cut through it like butter.

I've heard a few people describe how much more aggressive they are, but I must add that I found them somewhat more "intuitive" to use. The angle came very easily and the audio feedback from the blade was great for any adjustments when doing awkward parts.

Considering that the blades lasted me 6 shaves each, and would probably have done me another couple had I not wanted to try another razor, and that the razors cost next to nothing I'm really surprised that SEs aren't more popular.

Although it might be better that way - keeps cost down for the rest of us!

I actually got my 2nd 1912 today and managed to get a 1924 Shovelhead a couple of weeks ago.

Nice collection.

If you ever want to sell the gold lather catcher let me know!

I think it probably dates from between 1906 and 1908 but its definitely pre 1910.

BigRon said:
Nice collection.

If you ever want to sell the gold lather catcher let me know!

I think it probably dates from between 1906 and 1908 but its definitely pre 1910.
Cheers BR. The gold lather catcher is the most recent arrival and I really like it. Still weighing up if I will shave with it, but I am sure I will soon.

If I do ever consider letting it go you'll have first refusal. Don't hold your breath though!

Jon

Very nice collection: I do admire the styling of the old lather catcher. I've shaved a few dozen times now with the 1912 I got at Xmas and am still very much enjoying it. For me it is less forgiving than a run-of-the-mill DE razor, but by no means hard to get the hang of, just needing a lighter touch and a tad more care and attention.

Back
Top Bottom