"Tea Stains" on Astra SP blades

I have been getting patches of light brown staining on Astra SP blades recently, in a random pattern, within a day or so of putting them into the razor. The stain doesn't appear to be on the cutting edge. I always wash the razor (and blade) in hot water and loosen it off before putting it back in the rack , ahead of the next shave.

This has never happened before and i am confident the Astras are genuine, as its a batch i have used for a while. Checking my blade bank, older blades which were clean when discarded, have gained similar staining, so i am guessing it is some sort of very light corrosion and it looks very similar to what other shaving forums describe as "Tea Staining"

The only thing that has changed, is switching razors to a Merkur Progress, which is also genuine, as i bought it from Connaught . The razor itself looks clean and unaffected.

Any ideas of what is causing this, as i am shaving in exactly the same way and situation as i have for the last 6 years ?.

I don’t really get that. To be fair I only use the blades 2-3 times. But I take the blade out put everything in hot water for a short time then rinse off and leave to dry.

Then wipe the razor down.

I don’t replace the blade in the razor. It’s left out in the air.

Is there any plate loss around the blade/thread posts.
No none. The Progress is only a couple of months old, but i just now stripped it down completely and inspected it with a light source and magnifier and could not find any evidence of internal or external corrosion or damaged plating.

I took the blade out and dried it Weds night, before replacing it loosly and it still looks like new, so i am guessing it must be have been trapped moisture doing this.

Maybe its the complex head design of the Progress that does this ? i notice it still clamps the blade to some degree, even when slacked right off.

I will be more fastidious about drying it in future and see if the problem disappears. Am still very happy with the shaves it gives.

Back
Top Bottom