Tawny port

I received a bottle of tawny port as a present, I love a drop of port.
Just wondering what the thinking is in serving it... Chilled or room temperature? I've never had a bottle of tawny before and online opinions seem to differ.
Anyone got any preferences?

I'm a big fan of port and have enjoyed it in all its variety. There is an idea that Tawny benefits from slight chill (55 degrees or so but NOT fridge-cold). I'm not a fan of this and much prefer all ports but white at room temperature. The complexities that Tawny has developed are masked by cooler temperature in my opinion.

BUT - let me rush to say that 'De gustibus non disputandum est'. Why not lightly cool a bottle and have a few glasses as the rest of the bottle rises to room temperature? If you find the warmer is less to your taste , a few minutes re-cooling will sort it out and you'll be sure for the next time.

Enjoy!

i’m also a lover of port & sherry and for me it has to be at room temperature or slightly above.
My Dad put the bottle in the oven at low temp for 10 mins.
for me it’s to much flagging around.
Get it open & try different variations until you find the one that works.
Like Globalm said the complexities open up if not cold just like Red Wine

Not quite the same, but I brew a variety of beer and I find the darker more complex flavours come out better if the bottle has left to warm up from fridge to about 10-14°. I think it will probably be the same for port, you don't want it too cold.

Generally, room temperature these days is too hot, with central heating etc. Originally, room temperature was taken to mean 12-14°C so use that as a guide. I've got a bottle of tawny being opened later so will stick it in the fridge for about 15 mins. before serving, but really it's a question of your own preference.

My son brought a bottle recently.Normally I drink LBV but have tried and enjoyed it at room temperature , but read that it should be chilled. Apparently keeps longer than LBV too, so maybe I will buy it myself in future.

Back
Top Bottom