Taking the plunge!

Well I "won" a 1912 Ever Ready on Evil Bay complete with green bakelite box and all for princely sum of £3.20 delivered. Looking forward to getting it delivered but slightly nervous about my first shave with it!

I've watch the youtube vids that I could find so I have some ideas. I'm used to DE shaving with an EJ89 and a slim adjustable. How different is SE having? All tips gratefully received.

Is there any way of dating the 1912s? From what I can gather they were made between 1912 and mid 1920s. Can it be narrowed down? It's the art deco handle if that's any help.

Pics will follow once it arrives.

Thanks guys

I recently shaved with my grandad's 1912 Ever Ready SE. I have been DE shaving for nearly a year. I found the switch very straight forward. Maybe a slightly different angle required but it gives plenty of feedback. I really enjoyed it, I am sure you will too.

Same as above. I had my first SE shave this morning with my new Ever Ready 1912, it was great. I was a little apprehensive about getting the right angle etc. at first, but I found it really intuitive.

The date of the model is on the back of the head. There'd no other date. There may be a difference in handles but I can't be sure...

You'll probs find that shaving is even easier & more natural due to the shaving head being offset in the handle. Just lay the head along your cheeky, cheek, cheek & alter the angle very slightly until the cutting edge reposes upon the manly bristlies, then prepare to enjoy a rapturous experience.

Biggest thing to check I'd suggest is that prior to use the blade is correctly inserted in the head & that an even cutting edge is exposed thoughout its length. There should be 2 locating pegs in the head which assist in locating the blade correctly. I know because I once didn't have the blade correctly aligned & left one cheek a red ruin with just one stroke of the razor. Fortunately these were very minor, surface scrapes & I've never repeated the error again, nor been quite so casual in my first stroke !

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

JohnnyO said:
You'll probs find that shaving is even easier & more natural due to the shaving head being offset in the handle. Just lay the head along your cheeky, cheek, cheek & alter the angle very slightly until the cutting edge reposes upon the manly bristlies, then prepare to enjoy a rapturous experience.

Biggest thing to check I'd suggest is that prior to use the blade is correctly inserted in the head & that an even cutting edge is exposed thoughout its length. There should be 2 locating pegs in the head which assist in locating the blade correctly. I know because I once didn't have the blade correctly aligned & left one cheek a red ruin with just one stroke of the razor. Fortunately these were very minor, surface scrapes & I've never repeated the error again, nor been quite so casual in my first stroke !

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

"red ruin". You have surely been reading Robert E Howard:icon_razz:

My "red ruin" plagiarism came from D. Brian "Bri" Plummer, however since he was much better read than I it's possible that I have become a 2nd or even 3rd hand misquoter.

JohnnyO. \:blush:

Johnus said:
Rob72 said:
IIRC, the chain handle is the, "1924 pattern".

Thank you . I read that there was a difference but not sure that they explained it.

Johnus said:
Rob72 said:
IIRC, the chain handle is the, "1924 pattern".

Thank you . I read that there was a difference but not sure that they explained it.

To the best of my knowlede, the "art deco chain link" handles only came with 1912 pattern razors. The razors commonly known as 1924 (ie the one with the head that hinges all the way open at the front) have smaller with less decoration but a higher polish.

However just because I've never seen a 1924 with a chainlink handle doesn't mean they don't exist. 1912, 1914 and 1924 went through a variety of different small detail changes over the years.

Drroly said:
To the best of my knowlede, the "art deco chain link" handles only came with 1912 pattern razors. The razors commonly known as 1924 (ie the one with the head that hinges all the way open at the front) have smaller with less decoration but a higher polish.

However just because I've never seen a 1924 with a chainlink handle doesn't mean they don't exist. 1912, 1914 and 1924 went through a variety of different small detail changes over the years.

You're right on the 1912 chain handle, I do believe.:icon_wink: I don't have the Wait's Compendium, but I have yet to find a decent, comprehensive, list of ASR's products. The fact that probably something on the order of 7-10 million SE razors were all threaded with 10-32 threads won't help!:icon_razz:

Back
Top Bottom