Tabac Re-Formulated - Now Tallow Free

Before you all whip yourselves up in to a stockpiling frenzy, ask yourself the following:
  1. Do I like Tabac?
  2. Am I likely to use my current stash of Tabac before I die?
  3. Do I use Tabac more than once a month?
  4. Do I hoard toilet roll?
If the answer to any of the questions above is 'No', don't panic and save your money.
1, yes
2, yes
3, yes
4, er, doesn't everyone? (Having spent my formative years using small squares of newspaper, I make sure there's always 10 packs of 4 in the house)

I suspect the reformulated non tallow Tabac won't be anywhere near as good, so I've ordered enough of it to last me 10 years (in rotation of course)

1, yes
2, yes
3, yes
4, er, doesn't everyone? (Having spent my formative years using small squares of newspaper, I make sure there's always 10 packs of 4 in the house)

I suspect the reformulated non tallow Tabac won't be anywhere near as good, so I've ordered enough of it to last me 10 years (in rotation of course)
Stockpiling
Approved GIF by memecandy

Having just used Tabac for the first time, I must say that despite the scent needing to be dialled-down a bit, I am impressed.
The puck is rock hard, but I had enough lather after a few light swirls for a very pleasant 3 pass shave. We do have quite soft water, so that helps.
This stuff will last ages, even if used regularly.

It's a top performer. When I was learning to use a straight Tabac mixed nice and slick with lots of water was my lucky soap.

Once a stick has been opened for a while the flowery scent will die down a bit.

I think Speick will be next. The stick sticks out like a sore thumb in their product range.Much of the marketing is based on the fact that they are Vegan friendly. Haslinger has already reformulated their shaving soap which was the same in their vegan friendly range.

Haslinger has reformulated twice in vegan bases. I've used the first one which is pretty good, but the second one which has coconut oil is supposed to be excellent.

I'm in agreement about Speick. Right now it is the last German tallow shaving stick standing (on the presumption Tabac is now gone), I imagine it's only matter of time.

Interestingly, when you go back about 10yrs or so and look at the threads on shaving forums regarding the spate of soap re-formulations at the time, when tallow was being discontinued by many soap manufacturers, an enterprising person wrote to Maurer & Wirtz and asked if they also planned on ceasing the use of tallow in their shaving soap. The gist of their reply was..."Maurer & Wirtz had tried to re-formulate their shaving soaps but that they were not satisfied with the quality or the properties in that they could not reproduce the latherability and the lather consistency of the original tallowate soap. Therefore, for the time being, there are no efforts being made to change the quality of Tabac and Irisch Moos". Many wet shavers at the time stocked-up in any event as they clearly knew which way the wind was blowing. That said, on a German wet shaving forum, there is at least one positive review of Tabac's re-formulation, although the member posting, does say that the scent profile has changed somewhat. One of the benefits of being on a forum, is at least we know a re-formulation has happened and we can make an informed choice accordingly; for the vast majority of Tabac users, I doubt it will even register. Remember we are likely talking about a miniscule market and one, I would hazard a guess, that is diminishing. How much will a puck of tallow Tabac sell on BST in a few year's time?' when the going rate for a puck of tallow Old Spice is about GBP £30-£40. Maurer & Wirtz started off as a soap company in 1845 and I think the heritage shows in their shaving soap in the same way that Muhle's heritage as a shaving brush manufacturer shows in their current shaving brushes.

Last edited:
...no ideas what razors the fab 4 are using...but at least they are using Tabac...

View attachment 74523

Wow.

Thanks for posting that.

I was never a massive Beatles fan but that is a great advert. A really simple one, 4 fellas shaving in front of a mirror, but the execution is spot on. Sometimes a simple approach is the best one.

It looks like a thick dense Tabac lather for sure!

Oh where have I been living recently. Missed this, now I'm glad I caught it.
Almost to the end of my puck+tub, was planning to get a puck.
Now I might double up and get 2 or 3 pucks for it to last.
As long as I can get the old formula.

I don't fancy the new forumulation until a lot of new reviews come out.

Back
Top Bottom