Tabac Re-Formulated - Now Tallow Free

Right now it's the last German made tallow shaving stick left standing. Wilkinson Sword, Palmolive, and now Tabac are no longer in production.

Speick just changed their packaging and it still the old formula so I presume they will be sold for a while to come, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is taken off sooner than later.

Donnie, I thought that that was proved a myth. Palmolive simply stopped distributing the stick in the UK I thought was the verdict. WS I have no idea.

I don't think M-W outsource, they are a very large company. The factory that made the Fine soap was making a Tabac 'style' formula & this did close.

Thanks for the info Paul.

Donnie, I thought that that was proved a myth. Palmolive simply stopped distributing the stick in the UK I thought was the verdict. WS I have no idea.

That was a while back, but the Palmolive stick AKAIK is no longer production. Aside from not being in sale in the UK there seem to be few stocks in Germany as well.

I think Connaught Paul said the WS one is gone as well, it too has very little left for sale.

Sad to read this, just coming back to wet shaving in part due to fond memories of Tabac. I’d ordered the soap bowl from Connaught prior to reading this thread - glad to see it should still be tallow.

Assuming the new formula is balls (and I’ll wait for more reviews), what would give a similar shave in terms of lather and lubrication? Mitchell’s Wool Fat?

I know it wouldn’t smell like Tabac, but a fairly neutral soap followed by the Tabac aftershave should give pretty much the same end product.

Assuming the new formula is balls (and I’ll wait for more reviews), what would give a similar shave in terms of lather and lubrication? Mitchell’s Wool Fat?
Not sure if i have a bad MWF batch, but it will never give a similar easy lather like tabac. I need to load like maniac for 45sec with MWF to get the lather (and if i am very lucky...) that tabac will consistently provide me with 10sec load and minimal effort in the lathering afterwards.

Not sure if i have a bad MWF batch, but it will never give a similar easy lather like tabac. I need to load like maniac for 45sec with MWF to get the lather (and if i am very lucky...) that tabac will consistently provide me with 10sec load and minimal effort in the lathering afterwards.
You might have a dodgy puck there was a thread on it from last year.
Depending on when you got yours, it might be hand soap.

Back
Top Bottom