Tabac Problems?

Just read on badger and blade a few people saying they soaked their pucks, water got underneath and their tabac mushed up. I also remember Tony saying he altered the lid to stop it over drying out i think.

Anyone had problems, anyone give a new Tabac owner some advice?

Much obliged.

I've not needed to soak my cake of Tabac - in fact other than attempting to soften it and use it up quicker I really can't see the advantage in doing so (I think some people look for problems that aren't there to then "solve" them using some fancy technique when it's simply not needed).

Damp BK4 brush, 3 swirls and hit the face with it to lather up.

Yes, the cake of soap sits above a void in the bottom of the dish (assuming you have the 'real thing') - where water might plausibly collect - but no issues here with it.

I never soak it, I would say to you just use it as normal and it should be OK.

The only noteworthy point I would make is that this is a soap that likes to be used. If you leave it too long it will crack. I had left mine for weeks after getting a couple of new soaps and creams and when I went back to it the soap was cracked and looked dried out. I just put a teaspoon or two of water on top, put the lid on, and chose a different soap for that day. When I went back the next morning all cracks had gone and it was as good as ever.

I think antdad said he snapped the little stays inside the rim of lid so the lid sits further down and sort of seals it. I would not recommend you fill the tub up with water to soak it, this would not be a good idea.

I've never needed to soak my Tabac soap. Even after a couple of weeks of neglect I just hit it with a damp brush and off we go. It does get a bit cracked, but a shave or two seems to fill them in.

Ian

In order to prevent water collecting in the bottom of the container why not invert it whilst lathering <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSUNBY9zHUw&feature=fvw">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSUNBY9zHUw&feature=fvw</a><!-- m --> as in this video.

I sometimes wet the top of the cake with the brush and put the lid back on while I shower and the brush soaks, but it is not really needed.
I also leave the lid off till I come home in the evening, then have a snif of the brush and put the lid back on. Sad I know.

C

Love Tabac, but not the stick. I have moulded it into a ramekin dish. Worked a treat. It will be used about once a fortnight. It will be kept in a drawer. Do I need to cover it up with something like clingfilm?

Attachments

• DSC_1352.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 59
Fido said:
Love Tabac, but not the stick. I have moulded it into a ramekin dish. Worked a treat. It will be used about once a fortnight. It will be kept in a drawer. Do I need to cover it up with something like clingfilm?

I would cover it somehow to stop it drying out even with a disk of greaseproof paper, I think the scent does change after it becomes dehydrated.

Back
Top Bottom