Tabac - Poor Lathering

Apologies if this has been posted before (did check ). Is it just me or has Tabac become harder to lather since they changed the formula and taken out tallow? This used to be one of my favourites but the last puck I bought will just not lather! I have tried with synthetic and boar brushes but no joy. What I get is a very thin lather which does not cover well and disapates very rapidly on the face. I bowl lather and have not changed my process so am at a loss. It smells the same (great) but I cannot get it to lather up. Such a shame as I used to really enjoy it.

A shame to hear you have poor results with the new Tabac. The old is one of the best performing soaps around, so it's little surprise the new formulation isn't quite upto the same standards. I think the new soap might need less water and more loading to get it going.

If you didn't already know, Connaughts have some of the old tallow sticks in stock.

A shame to hear you have poor results with the new Tabac. The old is one of the best performing soaps around, so it's little surprise the new formulation isn't quite upto the same standards. I think the new soap might need less water and more loading to get it going.

If you didn't already know, Connaughts have some of the old tallow sticks in stock.
Thanks for that, I will have a look at Connaughts. I think you are correct about the soap needing less water but today I lathered with all the water squeezed out of the brush and not much better. I will persevere however and see how it goes.

Apologies if this has been posted before (did check ). Is it just me or has Tabac become harder to lather since they changed the formula and taken out tallow? This used to be one of my favourites but the last puck I bought will just not lather! I have tried with synthetic and boar brushes but no joy. What I get is a very thin lather which does not cover well and disapates very rapidly on the face. I bowl lather and have not changed my process so am at a loss. It smells the same (great) but I cannot get it to lather up. Such a shame as I used to really enjoy it.
I recently invested in the new formulation, and am getting decent lathers from it, or better than I thought I would given the negative comments I’ve seen about it! I suspect it needs a slightly different water balance to the tallow version, and does behave slightly differently. It is possible Tabac are refining the new formula as they go, but I’m just speculating. It is worth persevering though.

I recently invested in the new formulation, and am getting decent lathers from it, or better than I thought I would given the negative comments I’ve seen about it! I suspect it needs a slightly different water balance to the tallow version, and does behave slightly differently. It is possible Tabac are refining the new formula as they go, but I’m just speculating. It is worth persevering though.
Thanks for the input. I tried again this morning without pre-shave (I use Executive shaving stuff) in case that was effecting the lather and it was slightly better but not a lot. Definitely does not need a lot of water. I got a couple of old formula shave sticks and they are a bit of a skutter as I bowl lather but definitely better than the new formula. I will persevere though.

As a rule of thumb, my loading technique is to soak the brush (I use boar and synthetic) and then wring it out. Practically dry, I then load on the soap. Do this quite heavily and only if necessary dip the tips of the brush into water to gather another drop or two into the bristles to assist loading. This is my technique for all manner of soaps from modern artisan croaps, vintage hard soaps, classic British, classic Italian and Tabac, both old and new.

I face lather, but don't see why a loaded brush should not generate a sound lather - I think it's a case that you need (a) less water; (b) perhaps more soap. These reformulations are getting to be quite same-y.

Reactions: J23
I agree with @pjgh Start with an almost dry brush and load up.

For a simple test, buy a cheap bottle of soft spring water and see what happens. Sometimes it's also simply a matter of 'hard water' from the faucet that makes a soap or cream not work as well as you'd wish.

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress!

Thanks for the input. I tried again this morning without pre-shave (I use Executive shaving stuff) in case that was effecting the lather and it was slightly better but not a lot. Definitely does not need a lot of water. I got a couple of old formula shave sticks and they are a bit of a skutter as I bowl lather but definitely better than the new formula. I will persevere though.
I know what you mean. I’m a bowl latherer too, and have never quite got on with shave sticks as it involves too much face lathering! Handy for travelling, but not my favourite way of shaving. Odd thing about this new formulation, and something I’ve not found with other soaps, is that you need hardly any water and really need to load the brush. And keep going back to the soap at every pass, which again I haven’t had to do with other soaps. It’s the least thirsty soap I’ve ever come across! Add just a touch too much and you end up with a thin lather. I find it really helps to bloom the soap for 10/15 mins before shaving too, which seems to make it easier to work with, and using it every day seems to soften it up and make it easier to work with too. It isn’t as easy to work with as the old formula, but it is worth persevering with.

Thanks for responses so far. Firstly, I am in Scotland so hard water is not a problem. I tried again a couple of days ago and really rung the brush out before loading and the lather was a bit better but still a bit weak. I will certainly try re-loading after each pass (I usually do two) and see if that improves. As far as the shave sticks go I do not face lather but hold the stick in a fist and load from there before bowls lathering. It does work but is a bit messy.

Regarding using Tabac shave sticks, I have now cut one up in slices and pressed into the bottom of an old TOBS container and it lathers no problem (with no mess). Just have to lay in a wee stock of 'Old Formula' shave sticks now .

Back
Top Bottom