Tabac Bowl / Spare puck question

Folks,

While i wait for my Tabac, which i am sure i will love given my new love affair with soaps, i am pondering picking up a refil while the free shipping is still on.

Then i got to thinking, its £6.60 ish for the refil, and £8.20 ish for the soap in the bowl. Is it worth then buying a second soap bowl to use for another soap and taking the tabac out of it, or would the tabac go bad over time out of packaging?

Is it better to just buy the refill?

Cheers

If you're that concerned by the potential for the Tabac "going off" (I guess it would tend to lose it's fragrance) - wrap it in clingfilm. Job jobbed. Of course if you have OCD like me, you'll only have the one soap on the go at once, so the point is moot and the 'second' bowl will only get used once the 'first' is empty.

Either way £1.60 for a bowl isn't bank-breaking stuff is it?

I should add that in replacing the Tabac I'm currently using in the stash, I didn't even consider buying the refill - I'll take the second bowl, "just in case" something happens to the first.

Yep, and if you are OCD like Hunnymonster I expect you wouldn't cope if your Tabac bowl had another kind of soap in it. Actually I think I would find that a bit strange too.

If not it is certainly not a bad idea considering the bowl works out so cheap. Wish I'd gone for it when I ordered my puck of Tabac! I've got the whole thing grated and crammed in to an old Mama Bear tub. I should have just put half in to start with as lathering gets pretty messy when the bowl has no sides to speak of... :cry:

HM how can you discipline yourself like that? Just sheer will power I guess.

I have managed to cut it down to about six or seven soaps and creams which I tend to use in rotation through the week. Sometimes I use a soap twice in a week and some weeks not at all. I have a puck of MWF screaming at me to use it and I have sworn not to open it till I finish at least one of the current soaps, and I thought I was being hard on myself :lol:

Do you mean one at a time as in you only have one soap open, the rest are new. You open a soap and use it a single soap till it is done? If so then kudos to you, I just could not limit myself to one soap, I do pick a blade and razor for the week but soaps and brushes are changed daily (mostly).

Perhaps I should try it for a week and see how I get on.

Audiolab said:
HM how can you discipline yourself like that? Just sheer will power I guess.

Willpower and fear of SWMBO laying eyes on more than is healthy (for me) of my stash(es)

Audiolab said:
I have managed to cut it down to about six or seven soaps and creams which I tend to use in rotation through the week. Sometimes I use a soap twice in a week and some weeks not at all. I have a puck of MWF screaming at me to use it and I have sworn not to open it till I finish at least one of the current soaps, and I thought I was being hard on myself :lol:

Right now, I have Tabac & TOBS Almond cream open - I've used the Sedbergh soap once mostly out of curiousity to see if it was as unlatherable as suggested...

Audiolab said:
Do you mean one at a time as in you only have one soap open, the rest are new. You open a soap and use it a single soap till it is done? If so then kudos to you, I just could not limit myself to one soap, I do pick a blade and razor for the week but soaps and brushes are changed daily (mostly).

Perhaps I should try it for a week and see how I get on.

I try to have as little on the go as possible - once I start something I'm in it for the long run :D (unless of course it's bloody awful - like the Wilkinson soap :lol: ) I have to say that towards the end of 9 months straight with the MWF it was getting a little trying - seeing the bottom of the pot and it taking an agonisingly long time to actually finish off - it was the same with the pot of Proraso soap before that.

I always buy refills and mill/melt them into clear plastic containers with snap-tops.
At the moment I am using empty ASDA clear honey containers for this purpose - they are over three inches tall and I can lather to my hearts content without any spillage and with the lid on are also stackable.
I would never consider paying extra for a trade-marked bowl - vulgar advertising has no place in the bathroom of a gentleman.

And while I am at it - might I point out that the correct word for a formed piece of soap in correct English usage is CAKE, not that of a mischievous character in Shakespeare.

And a very good evening to you - and where the hell did I leave that indigestion mixture?

SirPrize said:
And while I am at it - might I point out that the correct word for a formed piece of soap in correct English usage is CAKE, not that of a mischievous character in Shakespeare.

Actually it's the same in standard Americanese - they use the 'puck' terminology for the cylindrical sections, because it looks like the object used in a game of ice hockey.

Carrying on the pedantry theme - it's whilst I am at it

I think I am not that comfortable with cake, if it can't be a puck then it has to be a bar or perhaps a tub of soap.

Thank you for the correction SirPrize I was straying into YMMV country and we all need a slap when we go there.

It's frustrating how long soap takes to run out. When I buy some new soap I want to have an excuse to use it right away rather than having millions of tubs open all at once. Stupid economical soap.

Unruhe said:
It's frustrating how long soap takes to run out. When I buy some new soap I want to have an excuse to use it right away rather than having millions of tubs open all at once. Stupid economical soap.

Soap is annoying and brilliant at the same time - not sure of the right word to use. Not a paradox, a contradiction perhaps? I love the fact that it is cheap and lasts ages and therefore better for the environment than cans of goo and even cream. But there are so many soaps and so little time, and as a failing minimalist it frustrates me that I have a build-up of soap in my bathroom cabinet. I haven't used my Tabac for 3 or 4 weeks now. Not because I don't like it but because I have other soaps (and even creams now :? ) that I enjoy using too. I can't even bring myself to PIF at the moment as they're all so damn great... :shave

Back
Top Bottom