T&H Luxury Soap. . .

Need some advice please.

I've had a bowl of T&H's Luxury Soap for nearly two years now and I honestly can say that I don't ever remember making a decent lather with it. :?

I've tried badger and boar brushes, I've even used an ancient Wilkinson brush on it. Bowl or face lathered, I just can't get a lather that is worth shaving with - too thin, no glide or cushioning. The only time I can remember getting anything near shave quality lather was when I was breaking in the 1305, used a bowl and made what seemed like a usable lather, but nothing since.

Todays lather was made in the bowl with the 1305 that was loaded for about 15/20 seconds and mixed for a couple of minutes, but by the time I'd finished the first pass the lather in the bowl had died, so I loaded the brush again, but by this time I was getting angry so gave up with it. Both the soap and brush were pre soaked for about 5 minutes before use.

Don't want to use this soap anymore as it DOES MY 'ED IN!!!!!

CALM. CALM. CALM. Calm.

So any of you guys got any thoughts on where I am going wrong? Or should I just stick to creams?

TIA

Try leaving a little water to sit on the puck for a few minutes to soften, load for longer, try a hybrid method...load brush, face lather then move to a bowl and whip up lather from whats in the brush.

Sounds odd but works, otherwise bin it.

Two years? Blimey. Well I've had mine since Christmas and never had a problem with it, in fact I rate it very highly.
Like you I put a few drops of water on top for a few minutes while I'm in the shower. It does benefit from a good loading, I normally swirl quite firmly for 30 seconds or so. From then on it's like any other lather building. I bowl lather, and I use 2 different pure badger brushes, one of which is a little travel job. I find it to be a great performer so I'm at a loss really.

I don't have the T&H Luxury Soap, but I find that I need to load the brush considerably longer than what is common advice with any soap to get a decent lather. I don't know if its my water or what it is.

Anyways I normally soak soaps for the duration of a hot shower, then load up to a full minute. It seems to do the trick for me.

/Max

T&H is brilliant soap, one of the best.

Forget mixing it in a bowl - I've no idea why people do that anyway.

Couple of seconds loading the brush on the soap and a minute swirling on your face should see you right.

Another happy user here as well, found it to be a very good soap. As above, load the brush and face lather adjusting your water ratio as you build the lather.

Other than that ditch it and move on fella.

joe mcclaine said:
Forget mixing it in a bowl - I've no idea why people do that anyway.

I find it leaves loads of lather conveniently sat in a bowl for the second and third passes. Conversely, I've never got my head around the idea of solely face lathering.

Proudfoot: I just did a test lather with mine to see if I could screw it up somehow, but it's still producing beautiful lather. Too much water eventually kills it, but it's hard to get wrong. Have you tried Antdad's lather tutorial?
If you can't get it, pop it on BST, someone will snap your hand off for this soap. If it wasn't so long lasting, I'd have it myself, but the one I've got shows no sign of reducing in size.

First off, thanks for the replies and suggestions guys.

After having read Antdad's tutorial I gave it another two goes this morning, first with the 1305 and then with the Wilky. The first attempt wasn't too bad, I think it just lacked enough volume to last for two passes let alone three but I will put this down to the brush still being too new. The second, with the Wilky was a complete failure.

So I'm gonna hide it back in the wardrobe and come back to it later.

I will not be beaten by a puck of soap!!!!!

Thanks guys.

Proudfoot said:

After having read Antdad's tutorial I gave it another two goes this morning, first with the 1305 and then with the Wilky. The first attempt wasn't too bad, I think it just lacked enough volume to last for two passes let alone three but I will put this down to the brush still being too new. The second, with the Wilky was a complete failure.

Thanks guys.

Are you normally this competitive? What you need is a quality check. Send it to me and I will give you a second opinion! Purely in the interests of science.

49er said:
Proudfoot said:

Thanks guys.

Are you normally this competitive? What you need is a quality check. Send it to me and I will give you a second opinion! Purely in the interests of science.

I just don't like being beaten - unless of course it's SWMBO who's doing the beating :eek: - by an inanimate object. I'm sure the quality of this product is on par with Palmolive Classic but thx for the offer of a second opinion :lol:

Proudfoot said:

Thanks guys.

May I venture to suggest that it's not the soap, but the brush that's letting you down. Invest in a Vulfix 404 for around £12, or even better get a badger from Fido, and you will see the difference. The T&H soap is a splendid quality product, but you need to use a decent brush to get the best from it.

i'd also suggest that it could indeed be your water. You could have hard water which is ruining your ability to lather nicely. My scottish water gets soaps up in a frenzy with very little effort!

You could get a water softener and try that

Getting there guys, getting there.

This morning wasn't really the time to be playing around with a soap that I didn't get along with as I had just taken delivery of a Feather Portable and wanted to try it out, so should really have gone with a cream that I knew, but I was feeling lucky ;) After having re-read every tutorial on lathering soaps I could find I gave it another go today.

BINGO. Ok it wasn't quite the lather I was hoping for but it was better than any lather I had made before with this soap. Just enough for three passes plus I think.

I used my trusted T&H Super BB and started off in a bowl. Held the brush by the bristles, loaded it vigorously for about 30 seconds and went to the bowl for another 30 seconds to kick start the lather off then took it to the boat race. Worked it in and voila, after about a minute or so had a nicely lathered face.

First pass was lovely. Second pass was more than adequate but by the third pass the lather started to thin out a bit but was still very usable. Felt a bit of irritation on my cheeks during the second and third passes and the WH Astringent was quite fiery but sitting here now don't feel a thing.

So thanks guys and sorry to anyone that was hoping to get this puck but even though I still prefer creams I'm gonna use this to perfect my soap lather routine so I can move on to some of the others.

Onwards and upwards ;)

That's the spirit, it's too good a soap to be discarded IMO. Hard soaps are just a different technique to creams, but you soon get there. And to be honest it's probably the very hardest soap I've come across, seems to last forever.

Back
Top Bottom