Synthetic vs Badger - State as of 2022

Hello folks!

At the risk of starting some sort of crazed flame-war, I have a question about brushes.
Established knowledge from years back seemed to suggest that badger brushes were the only game in town, with synthetic being more akin to fishing line than something you could shave with. This was certainly the case with the awful brush I used with my cartridge razors back in the 2000s.

However it seems things have improved. The folks over at Executive Shaving swear that not only are the latest synthetics fit to match badger hair brushes, but they are superior.

Regarding the animal welfare element to it, I don't mean to be harsh or blunt, but it isn't really a factor in my decision.

So onto the questions!

Is the assertion that the latest synthetics are superior to badger generally correct?

If so, is there a particular variety of synthetic fibre that this holds true for, that I would need to look out for?

At this point decent synthetics are so cheap it'd be far easier to buy one and decide for yourself. A Simpsons T3 should do the trick nicely.

For me there is no comparison, synthetics are usually softer, create more lather quicker, dry faster, are cheaper and should last a lifetime. All that said, I prefer natural hair brushes! It's all about the experience for me which is totally sterile with a synth. If i'm not using a natural hair brush I'm applying shaving gel by hand.

It's an emotive subject but not one I care enough about to defend my position on so flame on :D

Synthetics are definitely easier to lather and easier to maintain. There is no need for soaking time, no risk of a lather hog, no break in. They just work. And they work quite ok.

I have tried reasonably priced synthetics (not the high end ones, so cannot judge there), i have tried low priced 2band badger and boars. Since i dont like the very soft brushes and i like backbone, i found tuxedo knots to be quite good. Finally, I just returned to boar brushes and specifically to omegas. Due to the backbone and the feel in my face. I only keep a small synthetic for my traveling because they are actually convenient with fast drying.

I guess you can invest a small amount of money in a yaqi or a Trafalgar and find out what suits you best.

Last edited:
I have a Progress Vulfix 404 Grosvenor Mixed Badger and Boar Bristle brush and its very nice - but overall i prefer my Yaqui synthetics for the ease of lathering and drying, although they are a bit softer and more flicky than the natural hair. I have a Yaqi 22mm Tuxedo Knot which is quite short and scrubby, with half decent backbone

The Yaquis are way, way better than early synthetic brushes tho

Hello folks!

At the risk of starting some sort of crazed flame-war, I have a question about brushes.
Established knowledge from years back seemed to suggest that badger brushes were the only game in town, with synthetic being more akin to fishing line than something you could shave with. This was certainly the case with the awful brush I used with my cartridge razors back in the 2000s.

However it seems things have improved. The folks over at Executive Shaving swear that not only are the latest synthetics fit to match badger hair brushes, but they are superior.

Regarding the animal welfare element to it, I don't mean to be harsh or blunt, but it isn't really a factor in my decision.

So onto the questions!

Is the assertion that the latest synthetics are superior to badger generally correct?

If so, is there a particular variety of synthetic fibre that this holds true for, that I would need to look out for?

I like all types of brushes but I couldn't say synthetics are better than badger brushes and I wouldn't take what executive shaving say seriously.... I bet they don't sell badger brushes.

Synthetics are absolute class these days.
i have Plenty i love but iv also got Badger & Boar which i also love with Boar being my favourite.
i guess it’s all down to preference at the end of the day.
They will all whip up a wonderful lather.
What i feel is certain brushes work better with certain soaps i.e hard soaps, creams but that’s just me.
But @TobyC is correct the synthetic does make the soap fly about a bit more where as the badger/boar will hold the soap better

I think Ed, the only sure fire way to find out is to try one ...

I would echo the comments above that the softer ones work out better as there's a lot less sling. Personally, I abhor badger and so have used synthetic and boar for some years now and in that time have seen the pinnacle synthetic fibre from Muhle (their Silvertip Fibre) matched in performance and surpassed in comfort by two (new) types which you can easily lookup and buy: Tuxedo & Cashmere. I am also VERY impressed with Mokasoft fibre which, to me, feels like a kinda "high mountain" version of (Muhle) Silvertip Fibre.

There has also been a trend towards slightly larger knots. When I got my first Muhle Silvertip Fibre, 23mm felt like a big knot! Not today where 26mm is quite commonplace. I still, personally, find that a little big for anything other than a moppy boar but 24mm is a good size. The Razorock Hive 24 with Mokasoft fibre is a super brush! The Yaqi Dandelion with 24mm Cashmere is my other favourite synthetic.

To say the latest synthetics are superior I think is a sweeping statement and a difficult conclusion to draw. They each have their place but primarily it's down to personal taste (as with everything in this arena).

I may not have the latest and greatest but I love the synths I have, some PAAs and a Tuxedo. They're great and as has already been said they generate lather well, are soft on the face and dry quickly. But I wouldn't trade in the badgers and boars I have, I still reach for them more than any others, I just prefer the feel of them. Though saying that I have the Tuxedo lined up for tomorrow mornings shave.

But to reiterate the previous comments, it's worth a bash just to try them. They're cheap enough and I've yet to pick one up nowadays that hasn't been able to do the job well. I'm actually tempted by some of the newer Simpsons after hearing some good things.

I continue my quest to find a synthetic that I like: In other words, one that splays easily, does not feel springy and does not feel like plastic. I’ve just finished two weeks of testing an AP Shave Co G5C, which is being touted by some as a milestone in development of synthetic knots. Unfortunately I can’t agree and in many ways I think it is regressive in that it reminds me of my older Muhle STF knots, both the V1 and V2. Over a two week period I did a side-by-side comparison of the G5C against my SynBad and Muhle STFs during my daily shaves. I much preferred the feel of the SynBad, which splays more easily and has much less springiness than either of the other knots. Overall the SynBad feels less like plastic. Having said that, the SynBad does not come close to any of badgers or boars in terms of the face-feel I like, but for a synthetic it’s not bad. You should note that I only face lather and I use circular and painting strokes.

Last edited:
For me i own a Chubby 2 Synthetic brush and a Trafalgar T3 brush, and next to that 7 different Badger brushes preffering Two bands and back bone in my brushes. I consider myself to be a Face Smasher and prefer face lathering.

The synthetics perform well and are my go to for Traveling but i always prefer the Badgers over the synthetics because the feel better. obviously very much personal preference but i also prefer Leather seats in my car or Sofa as somehow natural feels better.

if i rank my Badgers from 1-7 then my lowest ranked badger i would still prefer over the best synthetic.

on the two synthetics i got the Trafalgar T3 after my Chubby as i was looking for a cheaper travel brush that fits into a travel tube, but after review i like it better then the Chubby so for a brush 1/3 of the price vs the Chubby i would go for the T3.

but for me synthetics try to "copy" or "Imitate" natural hair and thats for a reason, the natural hair for me still trumps the plastics.

a last element is that to me the natural brushes also look much nicer and more artisanal or perhaps traditional with much less standardized/uniform coloring in the hair.

i do not see a difference either way in lather performance so that to me is not relevant.

also does a Badger give a "better" shave then synthetic no, but to me the badger is more "enjoyable".

Last edited:
They're like chalk and cheese - they do the same job, but with a completely different experience.
I like a badger brush as much as the next man, but I find synthetic brushes suit me better, with regards to ease of use.
Some argue that the production of synthetic fibres is bad for the environment, and perhaps they have a valid point.
Badger brushes are certainly bad for badgers (Buddhists beware)
I honestly can't remember the last time I used a badger brush, and I can't say that I miss it.
As has been said above, a decent synthetic brush can be picked up for very little money for you to make your own conclusion.

Thanks folks!

I’m actually coming at it from the other side. I have a Yaqi Tuxedo that I’m perfectly happy with. It’s a fantastic brush, but I was kinda thinking I was missing out on a classic wet shaving rite of passage so to speak.

Thought I’d give Badger a go before they wind up getting banned or become too expensive for me.

You’ve all certainly given me plenty to think about. If I do land a badger brush it seems I’ll have to be a lot more careful and patient with it, and perhaps get a stand for it. My Yaqi just sits on its stand - knot up.

Thanks again
Ed

Well.... I do love a synthetic. However....
I some how managed to get the following brush last year for only £8.99. don't know how.
But it is a nice badger, little to no smell. And it's one of my favourites.

Frank shaving badger Hair Shaving Brush for Men's Personal and Professional shaving

Back
Top Bottom