Synthetic or natural for soaps and creams

Roy

For the past few weeks, I have used my Mùhle synthetic as I found it was great for creams and felt lovely and soft when face lathering. I decided to give my mixed boar and badger an outing and used it on MWF. This has a Grovenor brush £13 on Amazon . Wow, a super creamy lather whipped in a few seconds! Huge amounts òf wonderful lather. Alĺ types of brushes seem to have their use depending on what soap or cream you are lathering.

I maintain boars are at their very best when applying egg wash to pasties

Floppy silvertip badgers can be troublesome with triple milled soaps but other than that I've not found a huge difference between brush types when it comes to lathering creams/soaps.

Greetings

I have always held the opinion that all brushes work with all soaps and all creams, it is however the case that with the very softest ones on the hardest soaps you will have to work at it considerably longer, perhaps three times as long as you would with a brush with a lot of backbone to achieve the lather you want.

Regards
Dick.

Never thought of it that way. I thought all brushes performed similarly with all soaps and creams. Umlijecthe softer feel of my synthetic. Would a good badger brush have the soft feel, but the body to deal with hard triple milled soaps ??

Never thought of it that way. I thought all brushes performed similarly with all soaps and creams. Umlijecthe softer feel of my synthetic. Would a good badger brush have the soft feel, but the body to deal with hard triple milled soaps ??

I have a 30mm Maseto two-band, that will lather anything and the tips are incredible. Shavemac two-bands are also magnificent but a fair bit more expensive.

For shaving creams I prefer using a soft synthetic brush like the original Plisson. For lathering up hard soaps my Omega boar brushes work best. Of course you can use every brush with every soap or cream but some combinations work better. At least for me.

I have a Kent VS70 pure bristle and its taken an age to try and break it in. It's not getting used as much as it should really as I lost patience with it! My TOBS pure and Gentleman's Tonic super badger always do the business for me though I'm starting to fancy one of those Yaqi synthetic tuxedos on a certain auction site.

I jest of course, they can be very good I'm just yet to use one I prefer to badger or synthetic.
I like a smaller knot, the Semogue 11137 for example.
Someone on here posted a very good method of breaking in boar brushes.
Leave it in a mug of water in the fridge, take it out each day and dry vigorously on a towel,
I think he said a week but 4-5 days has been enough in my experience.

I've got boar, badger and synthetic. By far the best for me is the Yaqi Sagrada Familia, it seems to whip up a lather (I prefer Wickhams) really quickly and it's then easy to rinse out.

That's worth a go, the wealth of knowledge on this site brilliant!