Synthetic Knot Help

The first synthetic bristle brush I ever bought was a Simpsons Chubby 2 and It was love at first use but then I tried a Zenith: such a naughty wee scrubber and I gave it away in the end.

I’m now no longer interested in buying a full brush, preferring to carve my own handle (got four in progress) and whilst I plan on putting boar hair into at least two of these, one of which will be an unbleached Zenith, I’m more than a little curious about other synths. I’ve read good things about the Cashmere - I like it’s simple looks - and the 2BED also appeals. Are these good choices?

I don’t want to shell out a lot and APshaveCo site reads like a knotty toy shop so keep me right here, please chaps.

Thanks!

PS whilst I like backbone, it’s gotta splay

Brilliant, thank you Gentlemen. I think I’m going to plump for a 26mm Cashmere fan this time round as it’s in stock and the highly recommended SynBad in the same size but bulb format.

Keep the info coming though as I’ve started my fifth handle in this last week although I need to get access to/set up my drill press for drilling the knot holes. It’s been a minute since I did that particular task plus I’ll have to root out the appropriate forstner bits.

I’ll be fetching myself a Zenith unbleached boar and I may have a SilkSmoke and a Maseto 26mm Silvertip somewhere so homes for knots and residents for handles.

Might get even get pics up soon…

YMMV but I found the 26mm cashmere too big. It seemed to swallow up so much soap I had to use more than I really needed. I ended up trimming it back and now it's a soft, floppy 24mm which turns out to be perfect for me (shave sticks & face lathering).

FAX.png

A photo from earlier today. All are works in progress with some nearly finished carving and others quite a way to go.

View attachment 76241

Superb work, lad!

So, at least two with boar ...

With just the one handle spare for a synthetic, I'd say Cashmere which I find feels like a really soft boar. If two handles were going spare, I'd say Cashmere and Tuxedo, the latter being a super-soft fluffer capable of billowing up lather like clouds. I have tried bigger synthetics and personally did not get along with them. I have both of these knots in both 24mm & 26mm (Cashmere) and 26mm (Tuxedo) and enjoy them immensely. Given your handles, I'd say 26mm would be a good choice, giving you a step into the larger knots without it getting silly.

Cashmere would work well with the short hexagonal handle and I'd say Tuxedo in the next size up. Boar always seems to feel right on longer handles.

Here's a nice full 26mm Cashmere on a short hexagonal handle:

AM-JKLWuXIA-mXGX-vh0YWRuBbmEujqSX5xozEBfWL_BmjPCOYsSoH4umvskIcHujefAJE2qRIvtmoDIcN7P-xMXvjMH2Hq1VMVypCbcMxNJmVYzbqjwSkLdCsYvpUE30R9pjSHUAL81gNHj0_-Kl7ZHMOF8hw=s800

Superb work, lad!

So, at least two with boar ...

With just the one handle spare for a synthetic, I'd say Cashmere which I find feels like a really soft boar. If two handles were going spare, I'd say Cashmere and Tuxedo, the latter being a super-soft fluffer capable of billowing up lather like clouds. I have tried bigger synthetics and personally did not get along with them. I have both of these knots in both 24mm & 26mm (Cashmere) and 26mm (Tuxedo) and enjoy them immensely. Given your handles, I'd say 26mm would be a good choice, giving you a step into the larger knots without it getting silly.

Cashmere would work well with the short hexagonal handle and I'd say Tuxedo in the next size up. Boar always seems to feel right on longer handles.

Here's a nice full 26mm Cashmere on a short hexagonal handle:

AM-JKLWuXIA-mXGX-vh0YWRuBbmEujqSX5xozEBfWL_BmjPCOYsSoH4umvskIcHujefAJE2qRIvtmoDIcN7P-xMXvjMH2Hq1VMVypCbcMxNJmVYzbqjwSkLdCsYvpUE30R9pjSHUAL81gNHj0_-Kl7ZHMOF8hw=s800
Great advice and opinions, sir.

Just the ticket. I quite fancy either the Zenith unbleached boar or a Cashmere 26mm fan in the Oak handle. The Cashmere would yield a nice contrast to the darkening Oak and the brown boar knot would be a lovely rustic match.

My daughter has taken a shine to the Birch handle so I may set the 30mm Tuxedo into it which would hold lots of lather for the necessary greater area. A good few years ago and in anticipation of her coming of age, I obtained for her a vintage, mint, Gillette Slim Twist with undamaged, ivory ribbed, long handle which again should make said task easier.

Also, to my delight, I rediscovered my very near mint, F2 Fatboy in its original, undamaged and really rather cool case complete with the correct blade dispenser. A quick polish when I get home and I believe I’ll offer it for sale to members of this here parish. A lovely piece, so it is.

Night all.

My knowledge of synthetics is limited to recent acquisitions of Simpsons T2 and T3. And two Yaqi tuxedo brushes. All are excellent. I actually prefer the tuxedo knots. Enough backbone and luxuriously soft.
Your advice is always sage and much appreciated given your experience with brushes both in your production days with New Forest and that wonderful collection you once had.

Back
Top Bottom