Surprised. Suggestions please?

I have never used a pre-shave product but today, with a 5 day growth and a blade that's 2 shaves old, I thought I'd use a free sample that came with a blade-selection-pack.

None of the expected "I've left it too long" and "Should've used a fresh blade" aggravation. No tugs or burns and none of the expected blade-clog (I use an open comb).

I don't know what it was, the pot was unmarked. It was white and cream-like, so I'm assuming it was not an oil. Light texture with little greasy residue and with a strong-ish menthol feel and fragrance.

Not wanting to empty my wallet on a search, anyone recommend a reasonably-priced, or even cheap, example? Wouldn't object to lavender instead of menthol either?

I have never used a pre-shave product but today, with a 5 day growth and a blade that's 2 shaves old, I thought I'd use a free sample that came with a blade-selection-pack.

None of the expected "I've left it too long" and "Should've used a fresh blade" aggravation. No tugs or burns and none of the expected blade-clog (I use an open comb).

I don't know what it was, the pot was unmarked. It was white and cream-like, so I'm assuming it was not an oil. Light texture with little greasy residue and with a strong-ish menthol feel and fragrance.

Not wanting to empty my wallet on a search, anyone recommend a reasonably-priced, or even cheap, example? Wouldn't object to lavender instead of menthol either?
Bart's Balms, look no further! :) P. He does a lovely lavender scented one using EO's, top stuff and very reasonable in price. Can be used as a pre shave and aftershave.

Your welcome :) P.

Last edited:
I like the Proraso pre-shaves and they're available in 6 scents:

Sounds like it could be be Proraso pre-shave cream - which is a white thick paste with a very, very slightly rough / granular texture and quite a strong eucalyptus and menthol smell

Did it make your face tingle a few seconds after applying it ?
Absolutely but there was no granular texture?

Could be something similar - i think there are a few strong menthol pre-shaves, with the menthol stimulating the skin and hair, so it gives a tingling feeling.

@Hullblazer - I've done a comparative review of a number of pre-shave oils on the thread below. I've not updated it in some time, though.

@Hullblazer - I've done a comparative review of a number of pre-shave oils on the thread below. I've not updated it in some time, though.

BRILLIANT! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom