Summer Shoes

I tried a pair of Clarks Desert Boots last weekend, they were very uncomfortable. I will try the Loakes version, a pair of Chukkas, and possibly a pair of Playboys. Now where are my Persol's.
I tried on the Loakes Saharra desert boots today, still uncomfortable. I came away with a pair of Barker tan brogues.

I am astounded by the amount of knowledge in this Forum, absolutely brilliant. Holiday wears for me: Alfred Sargent Light Green Chukka c/w crepe sole; Clarks Desert Boots Light Blue; Clarks Chelsea Boots, Taupe, Five pairs of Fins Driving Type Shoes, Red, Lilac, Pistachio (light green); tobacco and taupe (4 pairs still in their boxes and not used). I am very interested in the Sperry Plimsoles above and I have no idear what a pair of Saddle Oxfords are - will have to look it up. When no one is looking Birkenstocks in brown and on the beach Reef flip flops in black, Must admit, have always fancied a pair of two tone / two coloured brogues, obviously with leather sole. But my days of buying are now gone (I have enough to last me out); but you never know! Oh and a brown suede Chukka Boot, leather sole by Cheaney, well over 25 year's old. Used to also like the Hush Puppies in Brown Suede Desert Boots, but I do not think that they produce them any more.

Last edited:
Next year it will be a pair of Espadrille's with a Breton Jumper and Beret ;) ..
It turns out the pair on the right are Espadrilles:

ml3D89G.jpg

I now have 6 pairs, they don't really last more than a summer. But I have just bought 3 more pairs for £21.00 each.

Hello Sabre; I always thought that espadrilles were canvas uppers with rope soles or am I missing the point? Incidentally, have just purchased Clarks off white leather Dessert and dark brown suede Chelsea. I'm not sure when I will be able to wear them all though.

Hello Sabre; I always thought that espadrilles were canvas uppers with rope soles or am I missing the point? Incidentally, have just purchased Clarks off white leather Dessert and dark brown suede Chelsea. I'm not sure when I will be able to wear them all though.
According to Wikipedia: The esparto rope sole is the defining characteristic of an espadrille; the uppers vary widely in style.

61kRJn41LHL._AC_UY1000_ML2_.jpg

Sabre, just a thought and certainly don't wish to be a kill joy, but how many unused espadrilles do you already own? I know; that's not the point!
I know I have around 30 pairs of shoes in my collection; all in extremely good condition, many not worn at all and some not worn at all after major refurbs.
They say one spends half of their lives accumulating stuff and the other half getting rid of it!

What shoes you enjoy wearing in the summer? Desert or Chukka boots? Sperry or Sebago deck shoes? What's in your shoe rack?
Good question. I don't make too much of a change (no heavy boots or country brogues ) for summer shoes unless I'm on holiday. Even then, with feet as hideous as mine, even after a pedicure, inflicting them on an unsuspecting world would be a step too far. A glance at the feet of sandal-wearing men on Clapham High street merely confirms my thought that most men ought to give the sandal a wide berth. I tend toward boat shoe (Superga type things) or an unlined suede loafer - I might add a sartorial dislike for the modern loafer that looks like something from the 17th Century or an (ahem) girly slipper.

Back
Top Bottom