Suggestions for new brush

Around 6 years ago asked for advice on a bush …. and was pointed to Omega 49
thinking it‘s time for a new brush.
I’m use hard soaps .. DR Harris or Taylor of old Bond Street.

I do 2 pass Shaving once per day.

What would you consider a step up from Omega 49 … without going nuts on price.
some ones I have dug out from the forum include:

Omega 31064
Barbarossa luxury silver tip synthetic
Taylor of old Bond Street Traditional Pure Badger Large
Parker safety razor synthetic bristle
Semogue 1305.

Jus
not ruling anything out … though reading suggests good synthetic is now really worth considering

As has already been said, just watch what's being sold here, over the last couple of days there have been some real opportunities to pick up a nearly new synthetic brush for pocket change! You may find a good badger brushes in your price limits, just keep your eyes open and you will soon see something that takes you your fancy.
Paul

Have a look at this one chap. It's an AP Shave Co 24mm 2BED set in a Yaqi handle. £20 delivered and comes with a nearly new Stirling soap. I've dealt with @Geechy before and he's a gent. I can also vouch for the brush having made* it originally:

Thread 'Brush and soap bundle. Just £20 delivered.' https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/threads/brush-and-soap-bundle-just-20-delivered.54797/

*When I say made, I mean I bought the knot and set it in to the handle. Admirably though!
Thanks … but not after a used brush.

Thanks … but not after a used brush.
One of these will meet your needs:

Around 6 years ago asked for advice on a bush …. and was pointed to Omega 49
thinking it‘s time for a new brush.
I’m use hard soaps .. DR Harris or Taylor of old Bond Street.

I do 2 pass Shaving once per day.

What would you consider a step up from Omega 49 … without going nuts on price.
some ones I have dug out from the forum include:

Omega 31064
Barbarossa luxury silver tip synthetic
Taylor of old Bond Street Traditional Pure Badger Large
Parker safety razor synthetic bristle
Semogue 1305.

If you can, I'd recommend getting an unbleached Zenith boar from YourShaving, they have a few models in stock. My €7 unbleached Zenith boar is a lather machine.

I find the unbleached Zenith to be the pick of the boar knots I have tried. I like Omega though, less enthusiastic about Semogue ones, they have nice handles though.

I'd also order a PAA synth as well.

It is very likely that you will buy a synthetic brush one day and that brush may well be a Yaqi (£20 or less new.) It is possible that once you’ve used a synthetic you’ll not use a badger or boar brush again. This happened to me and I now have 3 Yaqis - my brush den is complete.
As above...I have 5 Yaqi synthetic brushes now. My favourite (and one which I have yet to see a bad comment about) is the Yaqi 26mm Rainbow Pony knot. It's plush, it splays well, and feels great on the face. Lathers like a champ.
Just get one...hard to go wrong and not much money involved.

I'm sure you can shop around to find one near you.
However...just to muddy the waters...although I do enjoy my Yaqi brushes I just recently ordered 2 new synthetics from APShave (simply because I decided I 'needed' more brushes and 'wanted' something different this time). I like the 26mm size but I decided to try a 28mm brush this time (just in case I was missing out on some brushy goodness).
28mm Synbad Fan knot in blue & clear handle , and 28mm Synbad Bulb knot in red & clear handle.
https://apshaveco.com/
But...Yaqi make a 30mm knot too.
Go on...you know you want one.

It is very likely that you will buy a synthetic brush one day and that brush may well be a Yaqi (£20 or less new.) It is possible that once you’ve used a synthetic you’ll not use a badger or boar brush again. This happened to me and I now have 3 Yaqis - my brush den is complete.
Care to suggest a Yagi brush to consider - not familiar with them
Looked at 26mm brushes .... Tuxedo, Mysterious space & Timberwolf are they basically the same, just different handles ?

Last edited:
I’d recommend PAA synths too. The Atomic Rocket is excellent. Although I haven’t used the Pellegrino, it looks amazing. I wouldn’t use a badger or boar ever again. Synths - no need for soaking, negligible bristle loss (dependent on quality of course) ease of lathering, cleaning and drying. Each to their own, of course.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom